Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Diamond 4850 Artifacting.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2010 10:29:28 AM

I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

I've had my Diamond Radeon HD 4850 512MB for about 2 years now and have been very pleased with the performance I've gotten for the price. This card however has always run very hot. When I first purchased it, it would idle around 70 degrees and hit around 87 degrees under load. After about a year or so it would idle around 80 degrees and hit 102 under full load.

I recently installed Windows 7 and wanted to play with some DirectX10. So I installed my copy of Crysis Warhead. I set the resolution to 1280x1024 (my preferred for my old 19inch Philips CRT monitor) 2xAA, and all settings to Gamer (High). The framerate was fairly decent after initial chopyness for about 10 seconds or so and I started playing. After about 2 mins I started getting grey artifacts all over the screen, usually looked like long grey lines or stretched out triangles, I backed down the settings to Mainstream (Medium) and turned off the AA and the problem persisted. After about 2 mins VPU recover kicked in and my machine bluescreened.

I decided my card must be overheating. I took the card out and removed the fan unit and heatsink. The thermal paste they use was dried and half baked off so I replaced it with a fresh coat of AC MX-2, as well as cleaned all the dust and dirt from the fins in the heatsink. I booted back up and immediately noticed my idle temp drop from the usual ~80 degrees to about 65. I booted up Crysis again and immediately still had the same artifacting with the GPU hitting about 93 at its peak.

I still thought it must be overheating so I loaded up rivatuner and manually set the fan speed to 100%, now although my PC now sounded like a jet aircraft taking off (I've never heard the fan spin nearly that fast even when I've had temps on my GPU of over 100 wtf??) my idle temp was around 40 and I was only hitting ~63 under full load. I load up Crysis Warhead and guess what, instant artifacting.

I will mention this artifacting has now started to happen in almost everything else I play (WoW, STO, Supreme Commander to name a few) but the VPU recover has only kicked in during Crysis.

HELP!

PC Specs.

DFI BloodIron
C2D Wolfdale E8400 @ 4GHz
2GB OCZ XTC EL Platinum
Diamond Radeon HD 4850
OCZ Gamerxstreme 600W

I fear my card is on its last legs before death (although when I've had a couple other cards die over the years the artifacting is usually much much worse and it doesnt cause my system to crash I just eventually lose video). Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Best solution

January 26, 2010 10:40:06 AM

Well if its happening in all your games, then atleast you've narrowed it down to your card.
Maybe some long term damage has occured because of the temps being so high for 2 years. My guess would be that the card is on its way out, but just to be sure, Could you borrow a friends graphics card and see if you still get the artifacts? if you do then it may be your powersupply, but you don't get the artifacts then its obviously your card.
January 26, 2010 10:45:55 AM

^+1
Just as omg said... :) 
Related resources
January 26, 2010 11:11:56 AM

I figured it was likely the card. Just to be sure (although the VPU recover clearly says its Video card related be it the card or the power to the card) I checked the temps on my CPU and its a cool 47 under full load with prime95. I am currently downloading Catalyst 9.10 (I was using before the upgrade to windows 7), just to see if the install of 9.12 + the hotfix is the culprit. Unfortunately I don't have another PCI-E card to test as this is my first system that isn't AGP. If this doesn't fix the problem I'll be ordering a new card.
January 26, 2010 12:53:57 PM

Well looks like the card is indeed on its last legs, just about 1 month after the warranty expired too. I ordered a new XFX 5770 XXX Edition. I will only go with manufacturers that offer lifetime warranties now as my past 3 cards have gone dead after 2-3 years.
January 26, 2010 12:58:15 PM

"my past 3 cards have gone dead after 2-3 years"

Maybe that tells you something, do you have a well ventilated case? Good cable management?

Or perhaps you have just been unlucky. Enjoy your new card!
January 26, 2010 1:09:23 PM

Smoker + Cats?
January 26, 2010 1:22:34 PM

JofaMang said:
Smoker + Cats?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

best answer please! :pt1cable: 
January 26, 2010 1:38:00 PM

Rustyy117 said:
"my past 3 cards have gone dead after 2-3 years"

Maybe that tells you something, do you have a well ventilated case? Good cable management?

Or perhaps you have just been unlucky. Enjoy your new card!

Well the 9600XT fan died on me and I didn't notice and cooked it.

6600GT got into major heat problems, I still have no idea why. It was an EVGA though so it was easily replaced under warranty.

And now this card artifacting, which could be due to heat I'm not sure, although most of what I read about the card says its normal for it to run in the 80-90 range.

No smoking in the house, do have cats though.
January 26, 2010 1:51:11 PM

80-90C is probably safe for a short period of time, but were talking 2 years, its just like a processor, if you run it near or at its thermal limit you will reduce its life.

I have a cat and shes a pain in the a$$, my PC case is a CM HAF932 which has no fan filters so after 2 weeks my PC components are all covered in hair : /
January 26, 2010 1:52:51 PM

DaStinger said:
Well the 9600XT fan died on me and I didn't notice and cooked it.

6600GT got into major heat problems, I still have no idea why. It was an EVGA though so it was easily replaced under warranty.

And now this card artifacting, which could be due to heat I'm not sure, although most of what I read about the card says its normal for it to run in the 80-90 range.

No smoking in the house, do have cats though.

80-90c is the high end of normal load temps for the card. Years if use in the 100c range would be of concern. I am guessing you reseated your HSF too late, and the damage was already done, regardless of the temps it is able to maintain now.
January 26, 2010 1:55:42 PM

Rustyy117 said:
80-90C is probably safe for a short period of time, but were talking 2 years, its just like a processor, if you run it near or at its thermal limit you will reduce its life.

I have a cat and shes a pain in the a$$, my PC case is a CM HAF932 which has no fan filters so after 2 weeks my PC components are all covered in hair : /

I have an el cheapo Cooler Master 330 Elite case, and luckily for my cats, it does have filters on the front intake, and was super easy to filter the side intake. Even then, my wife and I being smokers and having 2 cats, I still need to pull out my 2 gallon air mini compressor every couple weeks to blow out the heatsinks.
January 26, 2010 2:03:55 PM

When i need to clean my PC i borrow my GF's hair-dryer and use the cold setting. Works pretty well.

Cant wait to get a case with filters!, I may make some myself for the time being.
January 26, 2010 2:08:25 PM

JofaMang said:
I have an el cheapo Cooler Master 330 Elite case, and luckily for my cats, it does have filters on the front intake, and was super easy to filter the side intake. Even then, my wife and I being smokers and having 2 cats, I still need to pull out my 2 gallon air mini compressor every couple weeks to blow out the heatsinks.

My case is old! Next piece in line for an upgrade. It's a Raidmax Scorpio868, about 7 years old. I do have 2 fans in front and 2 in the back. A side fan (which I don't use because the side panel is always off). And I have one fan ziptied blowing heat away from my northbridge. I was never very good at cable management and I'm going to make that a project for today to get everything tidied up as much as possible.
January 26, 2010 2:13:54 PM

A great, cheap filter material is 3M ScotchBrite, if you can find small packages of it, a full roll would obviously be a huge waste. Air moves through it decently, and it manages to trap hair super well. Since i replaced my foam filters with scotch brite I have't noticed a single hair inside my case when cleaning it out. Drawback is that scotchbrite doesn't clean well, the hair really sticks around, so the filters need to be replaced more often than foam filters that can be blown out.
January 26, 2010 2:37:35 PM

DaStinger said:
My case is old! Next piece in line for an upgrade. It's a Raidmax Scorpio868, about 7 years old. I do have 2 fans in front and 2 in the back. A side fan (which I don't use because the side panel is always off). And I have one fan ziptied blowing heat away from my northbridge. I was never very good at cable management and I'm going to make that a project for today to get everything tidied up as much as possible.

Lol, Your like my brother, he has wires EVERYWHERE, I'm surprised he can overclock at all , he says he cant be bothered with cable management :pfff: 

Cheers JofaMang for the info on the 3M ScotchBrite, Ill give it a go if I can't sell my HAF932 on Ebay soon.
January 27, 2010 4:03:17 PM

Hello I have a Diamond 4850 green PCB non-reference design 512mb. bought @ Best Buy Canada in December 2008

Dude . check the metal back plate temp. That'S your gdr 3 modules overheating. <Never overclcok that POS.

I stuck an athlon2 AM3 cpu HSF on my DIamond metal backplate. It runs w/o artifacting.

BTW your GPU temps are still high as mine reach 59 celsius full load.
January 27, 2010 4:10:09 PM

mascotch said:
Hello I have a Diamond 4850 green PCB non-reference design 512mb. bought @ Best Buy Canada in December 2008

Dude . check the metal back plate temp. That'S your gdr 3 modules overheating. <Never overclcok that POS.

I stuck an athlon2 AM3 cpu HSF on my DIamond metal backplate. It runs w/o artifacting.

BTW your GPU temps are still high as mine reach 59 celsius full load.

The OP has a XFX HD5770 XXX now, no point in suggesting ideas to cool a card he isnt using anymore.
January 27, 2010 4:22:02 PM

that's a downgrade

256bit > 128 bit at least he will get a cool running card
January 27, 2010 5:20:06 PM

Call it a downgrade if you want but my 3dmark scores across the board are about 25% higher as well as fps in games.

Edit: It's about 33% was getting 12.5K with the 4850 and am now getting just about 17.5k with the 5770. This is in 3Dmark 06.
January 27, 2010 5:57:59 PM

I believe the 4850's use GDDR3. GDDR5 is used on the 5770. GDDR5 allows for more bandwidth over a narrower interface (5 times higher data rates than GDDR3).

In this situation, 128bit GDDR5 > 256bit GDDR3.
January 27, 2010 7:14:11 PM

mascotch said:
that's a downgrade

256bit > 128 bit at least he will get a cool running card

Great....another person ranting on about 128bit being a big issue : /

Do some research about GDDR5 please... :pt1cable: 
February 7, 2010 11:21:57 PM

Best answer selected by DaStinger.
February 8, 2010 12:50:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!