Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive 500 gb western digi black or blue serie?

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2012 1:34:56 PM

My 3.5" sata hard drives are making hassle. The won't run stable in a sata swap bay, often
it is the power connector that won't work. Now one hard drive stopped working.
It's making the typical click noises.

Reading about hard drives and quality, most write that western digital is first choice
when it's about quality.
It's said, that western digital black is best, sounds ok, since they offer 5 y warranty.
I'm using the hard drive for os, and some times many hours for days, but not
24/7. It should be a 500gb hard drive.
Now is the black series worth the price, compared to the blue series for my use?
Thanks.
a b G Storage
February 10, 2012 1:44:35 AM

Black and the RE-XX series are my choices because they are the best quality WD has and they have 5 year warranties. I have had a couple of WDs fail in the past 17 years and in each case WD replaced them. The RMA was easy and online at the WD website, and each replacement cost me the price to return the HDD to WD.
February 13, 2012 7:37:06 AM

treefrog07 said:
Black and the RE-XX series are my choices because they are the best quality WD has and they have 5 year warranties. I have had a couple of WDs fail in the past 17 years and in each case WD replaced them. The RMA was easy and online at the WD website, and each replacement cost me the price to return the HDD to WD.

Thank you for the answer.
5 years is good. But some say black series are a bit over top for private use.

About my damaged hard drive. It wasn't damaged after all. After a reformat it ran again. I haven't ssen that
before. A hard drive that makes the click noises but isn't damaged.
Related resources
February 13, 2012 4:38:37 PM

okppko said:
About my damaged hard drive. It wasn't damaged after all. After a reformat it ran again. I haven't ssen that before. A hard drive that makes the click noises but isn't damaged.
the "click" is just the actuator arm resetting back to "park", which hits it's stop and makes the click and repeats. The actuator will be parked or reset for many reasons but normally when it cannot read or find the data it went to get. This CAN be simply because your file system structure is damaged, and a reformat, or simply writing "zero"s to all sectors fixes the structure and therefore the drive can work again. But click of death normally is when something is physically damaged (head), and not fixed by a format or other software tools. Would i trust it? 50/50. I have seen hard drives last for years after a format fixed them, and i have seen them last for only a month afterwards...
March 8, 2012 3:56:58 PM

sapreaper said:
the "click" is just the actuator arm resetting back to "park", which hits it's stop and makes the click and repeats. The actuator will be parked or reset for many reasons but normally when it cannot read or find the data it went to get. This CAN be simply because your file system structure is damaged, and a reformat, or simply writing "zero"s to all sectors fixes the structure and therefore the drive can work again. But click of death normally is when something is physically damaged (head), and not fixed by a format or other software tools. Would i trust it? 50/50. I have seen hard drives last for years after a format fixed them, and i have seen them last for only a month afterwards...

There were some problems with the hard drive power supply connection. Maybe that was the
course for the hard drive not being able to read.
June 16, 2012 7:20:09 AM

okppko said:
There were some problems with the hard drive power supply connection. Maybe that was the
course for the hard drive not being able to read.
that could have been it :) 
!