Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot computer after blue screen of death.

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2012 2:18:39 AM

First I apologize if this is not the correct category for this question.

I'd been on the computer for maybe 1-1.5 hours playing PSX when all of the sudden I got the blue screen of death with the following error:

Hardware malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
**The system has halted**

After that, I tried to reboot my computer but it just keeps on rebooting itsself after the "Windows XP" screen. Tried starting it in safe mode but it still doesn't works. I couldn't try any of the answers in Google as I can't even successfully boot the computer.

Hope someone could help me fix this problem without actually taking it to a computer guy.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 2:33:45 AM

If you are overclocked, revert back to factory defaults.

Then, overclocked or not, try running the computer with only one stick of RAM. Then another stick if the first one doesn't work. (But only one at a time)
October 10, 2012 2:45:13 AM

I can't really restore to factory settings as I can't boot up the computer.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 3:09:20 AM

Disconnect power (unplug from the wall outlet), pull the battery out of your motherboard and wait a couple minutes.

Reinstall battery, reconnect power, start computer. Your Motherboard will "forget" any overclock settings you were using and use defaults.
October 10, 2012 3:12:12 AM

motherboard?
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 3:12:14 AM

Factory defaults, and one stick of RAM. (Until you find a single stick and slot that work)
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2012 3:12:45 AM

chrubin said:
motherboard?

Were you overclocked?
October 10, 2012 3:13:44 AM

I don't know. I don't even know what overclocking is.
October 12, 2012 8:27:13 AM

Z1NONLY said:
If you are overclocked, revert back to factory defaults.

Then, overclocked or not, try running the computer with only one stick of RAM. Then another stick if the first one doesn't work. (But only one at a time)

My laptop only has 1 stick of RAM. I tried taking it out and placed it back. Now, my laptop can't even start. And I mean CAN'T. The screen stays black even after I pressed the power on button.

Help please?
a b K Overclocking
October 12, 2012 10:59:38 AM

"Memory Parity Error" sounds like a RAM issue. If you only have one stick, that stick could be bad.
October 27, 2012 11:03:37 AM

Thx. I'll go buy a new RAM stick and see what happens.
!