I7-920 build how did I do

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
This all started because I wanted to upgrade to the CoolMaster HAF 932 Case and well next time I decide to do that it will be time for a new fresh build then

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today this week

BUDGET RANGE: $1200-$1000 Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Some gaming, video encoding, streaming 15GB mkv BDrips

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Corsair TX750W PSU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, Micro center, Frys, Tiger Direct ---- COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Chicago,IL

PARTS PREFERENCES: i7-920, EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard,Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL8 Memory Kit, Cool Master HAF 932 Full Tower, GeForce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 PCIe x16 2.0 Graphics Card

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / Maybe SLI Yes / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

i7-920 = $215 after tax MicroCenter gave me if for the $199.99 Price.

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366 = $242 after tax/rebate/BING CB

P6T LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard = $241 after tax I bought this first I have it installed right now and will be packing it up in the morning. 1 stick of RAM is not found on the 3rd DIMM ran MemTest no error it see's the 6GB of RAM but only 4GB is available. Test the 3 sticks on DIMM 4,5,6 and it found and used all 6GB of RAM. Since I do plan on upgrading up to more than 6GB in the future I needed to exchange for same model or get a different model I choose the one above for $1 more after everything comes back.

Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL8 Memory Kit - $153 after tax/rebate

Cool Master HAF932 High Air Flow Full Tower $138 after tax Bought this at Frys on Saturday for $139.99 + tax will go there and get it priced match to Micro Center price

Cooler Master V8 Universal CPU Cooler - $60 after tax

GeForce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 PCIe x16 2.0 Graphics Card -$127 after tax (Bought this at MicroCenter Saturday for $139.99 + tax got it PM today instore.)

Antec Silver Thermal Compound -$11 after tax

I was looking at getting the i7-860 but I thought it be better to grab the 920 since maybe my MB will work with the i9 and maybe I'll grab one of them way down the line seems a little more future proof even by just a little bit.

Also I have a Q6600 G0 2.4Ghz, EVGA 680i Board (mem errors cant get it to post most likely dead tried everything), EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked stock, Antec 900 case, OCZ SLI 4GB DDR 2 PC6400 800MHz, Scythe NINJA 2 Heat Sink.

I was thinking of selling it you think $350 is too high or too little for this. Or my other option is to make a NAS out of it but that wouldn't be for another 3-8 months. If I keep this it will just sit around until then or when the time is right do I get a different CPU something that's less power for the NAS.

If I sell I would use the extra money for some new HDD and setup a Raid. Right now I have 1x500GB,2x320GB interals and 2x1.5GB ,1x1TB, 1x750GB external that hold all alot of my DVDs and Blu Ray rips.

I do need some HDDs since those internals are pushing 2years each one so. The external new. I was looking at the WD Black for Win 7 install.

Also I running 2year old Philips and Samsung DVD burner would like to upgrade them to atleast 2 maybe 3 of the same DVD writers I do alot of burning and a Blu-Ray player don't need a Burner yet for that. Also a memcard reader I was thinking I could toss in.

Thats so let me know how I did and if there's something not right I bought or did. Thanks again.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks a few other people told me about the MB too I will check that one out if this EVGA MB give me any trouble when it comes later today. From what I read that V8 should fit and I saw a video on the same MB and Cooler on youtube and he got it to fit. I guess the big problem is the power connector need connect it 1st.

Also what about my video card some one mentioned that it's going to be a bottleneck in my system. Would adding a 2nd one make a difference or should I be going after something else.

Thanks

^ For low resolutions, that video card would do just fine...but for anything above 1440X900, you would need a more powerful video card...
Am saying this w.r.t gaming...
Do you already have the video card ? Can you exchange it for something better ?

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Yes I have it and yes I can return it.

What would you recommend if possible I'd like to get it at MicroCenter, Frys, Tiger Direct NewEgg is fine but only if it's worth the savings. I do plan on upgrading my monitor later on using a old cheap-o Westinghouse and another Westinghouse LCD TV for a 2nd screen which I will be replacing this and using the other one as a 2nd screen for web browsing etc.

Also if needed I can use my EVGA 8800 GT SC if a card you recommend is out of my price range. I'd like to keep it under $200 since I won't be upgrading my monitor for a few months since I could just run a cord and use my Plasma if I need to.

EDIT: Dint refresh...As you already have a graphics card, stick with it now...wait till Nvidia launches their cards...that time yo ucan expect a price cut on the cards from ATI...so later on when you upgrade to a better monitor, buy a newer card...

HD 5770 - $143 after rebates and discount...
HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161317

Later on you can add one more in crossfire...

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks. Orgianly I bought that card since I thought my 8800GT crapped out buy was the MB. So I wasn't looking at anything that was more than what I paid. Now that I tested the 8800GT in the new build and works and after reading the specs of those 2 cards I have it's not worth the money to keep it.

That Radeon HD 5770 looks nice maybe I should just wait like you said until they launch the cards and by that time when I get a new monitor and I can get a card as well.

Would I gain anything with the GTS 250 or Radeon HD 5770 over the 8800 GT for video encoding. I'm no Pro at it just started to play around with it.