Memory mhz question

spiralizer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Ok, i'm a noob. But i'm trying to learn more. My question is:

I have 2 gb of Gskill DDR3-1333, PC3-10666. When I run CPU-Z, it says my ram is running a DRAM frequency of 669.7 mhz. It's supposed to run faster than that, right? Can I fix that in BIOS? Or is that ok how it is? Please help!

Solution
Ok, so here is the explanation all (or most) of y'all were looking for. Your RAM is DDRx RAM, and DDR stands for Double Datat Rate. This means that the Megahertz showing is HALF of its actual speed.

So, in the case of 669.7. You simply multiply by two and viola! 669.7*2=1339.4 meaning you are just over the "perfect" speed for DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666), which is not a problem in the least!

I had the same problem (although I freaked out a lot more) and learned that fact right here on Tom's! Glad I could be of assistance!

Questions?

EDIT: Grammar.

jared_l

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I'm having the exact same issue, so I'll follow your topic if you don't mind. I have a Biostar TA790FX A3+ motherboard with 8GB G-Skill (4x2gb) 1333, 10666 and CPU-Z reads 669.7 as well.

We need an expert!

EDIT: Here is an image.

rambl.png

As you can see, I also have very different timings. Are you having that problem too, spiralizer?

jared_l

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Haha, cool. I've noticed all of the memory clock settings in my BIOS, but after a recent FSB overclock gone bad, I haven't touched it. I imagine I could mess around with stuff and figure it out, but I'd rather someone tell me exactly what I need to do. :)

spiralizer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm afraid i'll mess up a setting and fry something....that would be just my luck. I've read some articles that say sometimes RAM isn't recognized by the mobo at it's full potential...that is what i'm trying to get to the bottom of. Somebody help us, please!

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Ok, so here is the explanation all (or most) of y'all were looking for. Your RAM is DDRx RAM, and DDR stands for Double Datat Rate. This means that the Megahertz showing is HALF of its actual speed.

So, in the case of 669.7. You simply multiply by two and viola! 669.7*2=1339.4 meaning you are just over the "perfect" speed for DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666), which is not a problem in the least!

I had the same problem (although I freaked out a lot more) and learned that fact right here on Tom's! Glad I could be of assistance!

Questions?

EDIT: Grammar.

Solution

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Thanks! I've got a lot of good help here and I thought it was time to give back. If you had asked me two or even one year ago about almost any of this stuff I would have just blinked at you but a lot of self-education, mistakes, and help later... here I am!

PS: Remember to gimmie that "best answer" tag if you find me worthy... Call me crazy but, I eventually want a badge to show for it!