Hi All,
I just built a gaming system with the following parts:

Core i7 920
ASRock X58 Extreme
3x2Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600
Antec Trupower Quatro 1000W
West. Dig 500GB
Made the build with a GeForce 8400 until a Radeon 5000 series is available

The problem is the system will freeze and reboot no matter what I do. I've gone through the "Read before Post" checklist. I've unplugged everything but the VC, PSU, and DVD drive. I've tried another 450W PSU. I tried other mice. I've tried each RAM stick in all three correct (according to the manual) slots.

If I go into the BIOS, the system will freeze while I'm editing and reboot.
If I allow it to post and begin a clean Windows install, the system will freeze during install and reboot. The only thing that's consistent is I have about 3-4 min to do anything I want before it reboots.

The board LED codes shows it passing the post checkpoints correctly to "00" which is the code for "Passes control to OS Leader". I can then begin installing windows if I choose, but it will reboot in a minute. Once it reboots, the system will only go to the beginning of the post checkpoints and freezes on checkpoint 68 which is "PM init". It will then reboot until I unplug it or do a hard stop.

Any help o' wiser people than me? Should I RMA the board? RAM?
February 2, 2010 3:12:40 PM

Enter your BIOS and see what your CPU temp is up until the moment you reboot.
Also you might have to change your memory settings a bit, but I'll get to that when you've checked your temps ;) 
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:42:50 PM

1. Did you install HSF (hope you did).
2. In your bios is the RAM voltage set to to correct amount? Think it's 1.65v for OCZ gold. Check manf info to be sure.
3. Could also be a bad MOBO. Asrock isn't exactly known for its top quality.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 11:30:33 PM

Tridec said:
Enter your BIOS and see what your CPU temp is up until the moment you reboot.
Also you might have to change your memory settings a bit, but I'll get to that when you've checked your temps ;) 

The CPU only gets up to about 35C.
m
l
February 2, 2010 11:32:44 PM

banthracis said:
1. Did you install HSF (hope you did).
2. In your bios is the RAM voltage set to to correct amount? Think it's 1.65v for OCZ gold. Check manf info to be sure.
3. Could also be a bad MOBO. Asrock isn't exactly known for its top quality.

I'm a newb but not stupid (not terrible stupid anway). The HSF is in with the thermal paste applied and none of it is leaking about on the CPU or other parts.
I adjusted the DRAM voltage to 1.654 (1.65 is not an option). Same result.
m
l
February 3, 2010 8:01:45 AM

Try setting your memory speeds to 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1066Mhz just to see if that works, but I have a feeling that your motherboard might be defect.
m
l
February 4, 2010 1:01:33 AM

I adjusted the timings and it's the same. I think it must be a bad board, insert frowny face.

I'm going to RMA it on Friday when I have time to run to the post office. If anybody has any other suggestions I will try them before then.

Thanks to Tridec and Banthracis for helping me out! Thanks to everyone who took the time to read about my troubles!
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:36:13 AM

I agree, it would seem like you have a Doa. Good luck with the rma
m
l
!