Hard drive detection help

jhandley

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hello all,
I will be building my first self build computer tomorrow and I was ondering if the system, with a fresh install of xp will detect my old wd hard drive, ide/ata.

WDC WD400BB-23FJA0

It wont be my primary drive, but it is on this computer im using now.
I want to have it as a secondary drive because of everything i have on it .
I may transfer the contents at a later time, onto a 40g partition, but that would still entail getting my new system to recognize this old drive.
my system build:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P MOBO
AMD Phenom II X2 550 CPU
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98

Thanx in advance for any and all reponses.
Jeff

Solution
There are no drivers needed for PATA drives. XP only needs SATA drivers. Win7 needs neither. You could always network them together.

Also if it's the master and only thing on the PATA then it doesn't matter. Just depends on configuration.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Uh, why wouldn't it? As long as the mobo has a PATA plug you're golden. Most motherboards still have one mainly for optical drives (which is what I use mine for) that people still have and there's no good reason to upgrade that as long as it still functions as used.

jhandley

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
thanx dmitry,
Ive not been able to find a driver for it and wasnt sure if xp needed one.
I'll still have to change the jumper wont i, as this is the boot drive in my current dell puter.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
There are no drivers needed for PATA drives. XP only needs SATA drivers. Win7 needs neither. You could always network them together.

Also if it's the master and only thing on the PATA then it doesn't matter. Just depends on configuration.

Solution