Motherboard failer

drepandc

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I have a P55 SLI motherboard with an i7 860 processor, open ATX case installed is some custom cabinets built by yours truly Its my first build and has been up and running fine for just shy of 1 year. The custom cabinet is part of a complete wall system and I have some external fans to supply a constant air supply in and out of the section housing that ATX case on as well as aftermarket video card and CPU cooling. I always check my temps as the the cabinet is week link in my system but never see anything over 42C. Well i did smething stupid. I disabled one of my external fans to work on it and left the system in sleep mode. And it wouke up. Ran all night without proper ventilation. Symptoms were no boot. When I do a hard restart not even the 2 digit LED letter generator comes up and I don't get the usual 2 beeps (or is it 3).

I pouted for a few days and it wasn't until I unplugged the system completely and then did a restart that it came back up - with no issues.

I am a computer novice and electrician by trade. Thought this was odd. What am i missing?

It sounds like something was too hot :fou: to allow a re-start, maybe the PSU? But after it cooled down :bounce:
I would recommend a chassis designed for high performance computer systems. I prefer the CM690 ($50-$80, depending on shipping promotion/rebates) with 2 120mm intake fans on the front and 2 120mm exhaust fans, one rear, and one top (You'll to buy one or two 120mm fans). Plus the usual CPUHSF fan and the VGA card fans. Other will offer their own opinions....

drepandc

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for your input,
I figured something got to hot. My system is not in any kind of "chassis". It is basically free floating in a cabinet with fans galore, no heat issues until I screwed up and it is monitored. My real question, and forgive me if I did not phrase it correctly is: after an overheat event, and after 24 hours of cool down, is there difference between a hard reboot (pressing the on/off button) vs disconnecting the system from the AC source (unplugging). I did a hard reboot numerous time over several days and it was not until I unplugged the system from the AC source that it would reboot. It's been running great all day???????
D

Yes, disconnecting the power cord (or switching off the power switch on some PSUs) is different than turning the power off at the on/off button. Disconnecting the power cord de-energizes the board, leaving only the battery to power the internal clock (on most systems). If you leave the power cord connected, the board circuits remain energized, as indicated by various LEDs on some boards.