Sapphire 4850x2 1GB

renebs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hi all!

So, I thought that my PSU went bust, but it turns out that it might be my graphics card, d'oh! My system used to run fine (13 months), even over extended gaming sessions, no probs. Then, suddenly, it powered off, no warning at all.

Problem: system won't power on when both cables are connected to the graphics card.

Partial solution: remove the 6-pin cord and it powers on, but obviously neither gpu nor fan is runningm resulting in no display. The other gpu fan is running just fine.

What's the problem, is my card suddenly fried?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

cheers

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Lacking onboard video, you will need another card to test with, but the fact that the system won't power on at all when the card is plugged in definitely points to a PSU issue (though doesn't exclude a blown card) as, if the PSU was powerful enough, it should at least run the rest of the computer regardless if display was working or not.

renebs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I dusted off an old 3600 series and everything works just fine. In addition to this I also replaced the PSU with a 750w Thermaltake (and what's the fascination with Corsair PSUs in this forum, anyways?). Must be the card then. Gonna try it in an other computer before returning it, though.

cheers

So you replaced the video card and PSU? Did you test the 4850x2 on the Thermaltake to ensure that it wasn't the PSU? Just curious.

There is a fascination with Corsair PSU's. They are pretty good, I don't think I'd ever get one as there are better deals out there. I love my PC Power & Cooling 750w :D . I have also started to like some of the OCZ PSU's as they are reasonably priced with good specs. Thermaltake tends to be to pricey for me.

renebs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hi,
Yep, I tested the 4850 on both, since I initially concluded that it was a busted PSU. I was wrong. Busted connection or something on the card, I guess. Looking for a new card now.

Which brings me to:
Should I look after a new 4850x2 2GB? Or should I use a bit more money and get me a 5850? Any thoughts?

cheers peeps

Don't bother with the 4800 series any longer, the 5800 series is where it's at. The 5850 is a GREAT card, and can be overclocked to the 5870 speed to get some nice performance (just shy of the 5870). The 5870 (which I have) is great as well, however, if you are an overclocker it is a little frustrating because you don't see alot of performance increase when overclocked. It seems to be pretty optimal the way it is. They run pretty quiet for highend cards, and also in 2D mode do not suck much power AT all.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
^ Agreed with Jay. He talked me into a 5870 as well. It is sitting on my front porch as we speak! Only 1 hour to go at work until play time :D. But knowing my luck a server will go down or something lol.

It's sitting on your front porch!!! I hope you live in BFE with noone around. hehe.

Stupid servers. Just go with blades and VMware :D Virtualization, it's the new in thing.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Actually, we are in the process of virtualizing all our servers. got about 1/3 of them done. The video card was in one piece though. Popped it in. Running great! Runs about 54c under load so far. Idles about ~30c. Its a beast!

renebs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

I purchased it retail and that was around March last year. I live in Denmark so theres a two year warranty on all electronics you buy. There's a small catch, however: If the retailer can choose to refund (at the price you paid when you bought the item) or replace. Obviously, I'm hoping for a refund.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Well, obviously if it's the retailer's choice they will replace it with a comparable card (5850?) because last year I'm sure the 4850X2 was quite expensive there?