Advice on OCed i5-750 on Asus P7P55D-E Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobiarg

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I have a rig that I am trying to squeeze a little more power from to tide me over until I can afford to buy a new one. I have always ran my computers at stock or bios preset overclocks. I have recently started experimenting with actually trying to overclock my system for performance.

My current setup is:
i5-750
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus with OEM push fan
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
GeIL Evo Corsa 1600MHz 1.5V
GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W

My case is definitely adequately cooled but I can't seem to get reasonable temps. I started with a 4.0ghz clock I found online that seems stable, but as soon as I started testing with prime95 my temps shot up to 85c after about a minute. I canceled that test and started to downclock. I ended up with a stable setup as follows:

Core Speed 3601MHz
DRAM Freqency 514.5MHz
FSB : DRAM 2:6

BCLK 171.5
Multiplier x21.0
QPI Link 3086MHz

vCore 1.3125V
IMC 1.1625V
PCH 1.10V
PLL 1.90V
RAM 1.65V

I tested it with prime95 for 10 hours and had no stability issues at temps of ~70C CPU, 70,69,62,68 core temps.

I am just looking for advice on any changes or concerns I should consider. I would love to hit the 4.0GHz holy grail but I don't think I will be able to on this cooler.

Solution
your limit is the cooler as that mobo in your hands is a killer overclocker. One of its top of the line boards from Asus for clocking.

in my opinion:
1| get a pair of good fans to hook onto the cooler and maybe you can see a few MHZ rise in clocking.
2| with that 4.0Ghz clock that takes you to 85C, try gaming in that setup and see how your temps fair.
3| investing in a watercooling loop would be a good idea to keep your temps in line and no I don't mean a Hxxx unit - I mean a real watercooling loop.
4| You didn't mentionanything about the case that you run
5| Usually having too much TIM between cooler and IHS works negatively as there is thermal lag due to the compound, so might want to check if you put on a lil more TIM...

Lutfij

Titan
your limit is the cooler as that mobo in your hands is a killer overclocker. One of its top of the line boards from Asus for clocking.

in my opinion:
1| get a pair of good fans to hook onto the cooler and maybe you can see a few MHZ rise in clocking.
2| with that 4.0Ghz clock that takes you to 85C, try gaming in that setup and see how your temps fair.
3| investing in a watercooling loop would be a good idea to keep your temps in line and no I don't mean a Hxxx unit - I mean a real watercooling loop.
4| You didn't mentionanything about the case that you run
5| Usually having too much TIM between cooler and IHS works negatively as there is thermal lag due to the compound, so might want to check if you put on a lil more TIM than needed.

6| those volts look kinda high - though It could be me

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.