Solved

Asus Rampage III Gene vs Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding on which board to buy. I was initially going to buy the UD3R but now the Asus Rampage III Gene is on sale for 10$ less than the Gigabyte.

The salesperson told me that mATX boards generally perform worse than full sized ATX boards. But I did some searching and there was no indication that a mATX board is slower just because of it's size.

My question is, what would you guys recommend? Are mATX boards really slower? Will I have trouble fitting a after-market CPU fan in?

I'm just a casual gamer and I'll probably do some CPU over-clocking here and there.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus rampage gene gigabyte x58a ud3r
  1. Best answer
    There is no performance difference between MATX vs ATX. Really, the difference is just the number of PCI slots / spacing. You won't go wrong with either motherboard, so go with the cheaper board... IMO.
  2. ^+1 i agree personally i prefer the flexibility of an ATX board though.
  3. Hmmm, so the performance between the 2 boards is about the same?
    Are the ROG (Republic of Gamers) stuff just gimmicks?
    and the Asus has the SupremeFX X-Fi 2 sound. Would that make it a better deal?

Thanks again.
  4. The ASUS board is the better board for overclocking and overall features. If you are okay with a MATX board (which some aren't) than you be fine with the ASUS.
  5. Rampage +1
  6. Don't get the UD3R if running SSD + HDD there are a lot of problems that Tom did not test; BSOD and forced shutdowns.

Rampage + 2
  7. MATX board may run a little hotter if you OC the CPU and SLI.
  8. Best answer selected by specr12.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Rampage Gigabyte Motherboards