Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus Rampage III Gene vs Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2010 11:18:20 PM

Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding on which board to buy. I was initially going to buy the UD3R but now the Asus Rampage III Gene is on sale for 10$ less than the Gigabyte.

The salesperson told me that mATX boards generally perform worse than full sized ATX boards. But I did some searching and there was no indication that a mATX board is slower just because of it's size.

My question is, what would you guys recommend? Are mATX boards really slower? Will I have trouble fitting a after-market CPU fan in?

I'm just a casual gamer and I'll probably do some CPU over-clocking here and there.

Thanks

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
September 6, 2010 1:35:51 AM

There is no performance difference between MATX vs ATX. Really, the difference is just the number of PCI slots / spacing. You won't go wrong with either motherboard, so go with the cheaper board... IMO.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 117 V Motherboard
September 6, 2010 2:26:44 AM

^+1 i agree personally i prefer the flexibility of an ATX board though.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 9:33:02 PM

Hmmm, so the performance between the 2 boards is about the same?
Are the ROG (Republic of Gamers) stuff just gimmicks?
and the Asus has the SupremeFX X-Fi 2 sound. Would that make it a better deal?

Thanks again.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
September 6, 2010 11:27:22 PM

The ASUS board is the better board for overclocking and overall features. If you are okay with a MATX board (which some aren't) than you be fine with the ASUS.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 9, 2010 2:13:49 AM

Don't get the UD3R if running SSD + HDD there are a lot of problems that Tom did not test; BSOD and forced shutdowns.

Rampage + 2
m
l
September 9, 2010 3:11:37 PM

MATX board may run a little hotter if you OC the CPU and SLI.
m
l
September 19, 2010 12:01:35 AM

Best answer selected by specr12.
m
l
!