Sign in with
Your question

Can't find spdif to enable it in winxp

Last response: in Windows XP
September 11, 2012 4:38:32 PM

I just used a converter to hook my pc to hdmi so I am able to use my HD tv as a monitor but I am not able to get the sound working on the tv. My pc is Aspire One Series AOA-150 Windows XP. I have all the right cables to get sound but I am not able to find spdif in the drop down menu box in the voice playback. The only available choice is The REALTEK high definition audio. Can anyone help??? going crazy :pt1cable: 
September 11, 2012 8:37:00 PM

Please explain why you used a converter, and what it converts to.

Assuming you used the HDMI port on your PC, does your video driver support HDMI sound?
m
l
September 11, 2012 8:49:43 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Please explain why you used a converter, and what it converts to.

Assuming you used the HDMI port on your PC, does your video driver support HDMI sound?

I used a converter because my pc doesn't have the ability to from the pc to the hdtv. It is vga analog so I converted the analog to digital though the hdmi output of the converter in order to be able to view my pc on my hdtv. Originally this was all I wanted to do. I just wanted to use my hdtv as a monitor instead of my small monitor that Acer provides with the pc. The hdmi port is coming out of the converter though the hdmi cable. The only driver I see listed in the sound is the realtek high definition auto. I was under the impression that I could get the spdif enabled but it isn't listed as an option. I hope I have explained this correctly. My system is Acer Aspire One Series AOA-150, system winxp home addition. Thanks for responding.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 9:03:29 PM

You cannot send sound out the VGA to the converter. Does the converter have an audio in connection? If so, then connect an audio cable from that to you headphone jack on your PC.
m
l
September 11, 2012 10:13:37 PM

Yes that is exactly correct. The converter has audio ability though a RCA 3.5mm audio cable that goes from the converter box to the hdmi port in the back of the HDtv. I have tried to connect the audio cable to my pc headphone jack and still no sound. Thanks
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:27:23 PM

Do headphones work when connected to our PC?
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:32:03 PM

Yes I am even able to plug my external speakers into the pc and they work. I can hear the pc sound this way but I wanted to hear it from my HDtv. Maybe I am missing something. When you said before to connect the audio cable from the converter to the pc, is there another plug I can use going from the RCA 3.5mm to the pc? Maybe that will work.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:51:18 PM

Thank you PhilFrisbie I got it to work. Your original idea worked. I plugged the RCA 3.5mm into my pc and that worked once I figured it out...hahaha :) )
m
l
September 12, 2012 11:46:30 PM

Glad to hear it. Don't forget the best answer ;) 
m
l
!