Sign in with
Your question

Need minimalist looking case

Last response: in Components
April 9, 2010 5:40:56 PM

LIAN LI ARMORSUIT PC-P50 or
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Dragonlord or
SILVERSTONE FT01-BW

***I've never seen either LIAN LI case in person. (don't know where to find them) I'm a little hesitant to buy the cheaper dragonlord, as it looks kind of drab and dust-loving in all of the pictures I've seen. I've seen the SILVERSTONE at Microcenter and was impressed with the build quality. The lack of a heatsink backplate cutout in the motherboard tray is the major downside. I'm open to any other options too, preferably under $200.

More about : minimalist case

a b ) Power supply
April 9, 2010 6:53:38 PM

I would totally get this case but at the moment can't afford the $200+ price tag.
Silverstone Fortress 2, shop around sometimes can be found for $220 shipped~:
The case has some of the best if not the best stock air cooling around. Also take a look inside, you'll be a little shocked :p  at the design.

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 9, 2010 11:44:19 PM

Budget?

+1 for the FT02 - gorgeous case.
+1 for Fractal Design

Also, Lian Li Tyr X500 (and most Lian Li cases tbh), Antec P182, P192 and P183, Coolermaster CM-690 and CM-690 II

there's loads more

I'm sulking that the FT02 doesn't support Extended ATX boards - SO wanted one for new Rampage III Extreme build :( 
April 10, 2010 3:05:28 AM

Thanks guys. I'm really digging the fractal case...just wondering when they will get some U.S. distributors to ease up on the shipping cost.

I originally was only going to spend around 100 dollars and was about set on the CM 690 II Advanced, but after seeing it in person I was kinda bummed out and realized I might want to spend a bit more for an aluminum case.

What do you think about the LIAN LI PC-60 FNWX? Supposed to come out near the end of the month too. How good are the Lian Li PC-60 stock cooling situations? I see you can add a modified top cover with space for fans.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 4:50:29 AM

The Lian Li CP-60 FNWX looks great but are you sure that's what you want?

Minimalist is something like the FT02 or the fractal, that Lian Li has a blue LED at front and a window.

Anyways that Lian Li may have a steep price tag once it does come out.
If you can afford the FT02 I would definitely recommend that. Otherwise you should browse through Lian Li cases see if you like any of them.

Check LeHuronn's post above. Although the Lian Li Tyr X500 is rather above your budget.
April 10, 2010 9:14:14 AM

I have an Antec P182. It is a great looking case and looks very professional. I'm not a fan of flashing LEDs and lights in my PC. It's a decently sized case and fits all of my components with ease. I'm actually thinking of selling mine if you're interested.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 11:16:39 AM

I must admit I have to ask what the OP's opinion of "minimalist" is - the CP-60 FNWX has a blue LED fan and a crazy shaped side window!

Along those lines then you can't go wrong with an all-black Storm Sniper, all-black Coolermaster Cosmos or Corsair 800D/700D

But all of these vary massively in price.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 5:01:05 PM

LePhuronn said:
I must admit I have to ask what the OP's opinion of "minimalist" is - the CP-60 FNWX has a blue LED fan and a crazy shaped side window!

Along those lines then you can't go wrong with an all-black Storm Sniper, all-black Coolermaster Cosmos or Corsair 800D/700D

But all of these vary massively in price.

Just FYI I would never recommend the Corsair D800 for air cooled users.
April 10, 2010 5:34:44 PM

Well I really was thinking I could get the new CP-60 FNWX without the window so it'd essentially be an updated regular ol PC-60FN but who knows what Lian Li's plans are. I figure you can always turn off or cut the power to the led lights too.

I wouldn't go so far as too compare the lines of these Lian Li's to the Storm Sniper's bulbous swoopy shape. The cosmos likewise isn't my thing. I guess I don't like the soft curved edges; more prefer right angles. That's why I don't really like the FT02 but I do like the FT01. I would describe my minimalist aesthetic requires clean lines and a quality materiality. If a side window is tasteful like the FT01's I can appreciated that too.

The Obsidians are way too pricey for my wallet.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 8:31:06 PM

I'm a minimalist too. I dont want no fancy lights or designs or doors blocking my dvd drives... and I'm cheap too. LOL
I usually find new cases are, well, cheaply made. I tend to visit the rescue mission or used computer stores and buy a used case, preferably an atx server case, for $10 and upgrade it (new fans & PSU) rather than put money in a new case. Front mounted ports are easy to add if you need them.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 8:41:58 PM

popatim said:
I tend to visit the rescue mission or used computer stores and buy a used case, preferably an atx server case, for $10 and upgrade it (new fans & PSU) rather than put money in a new case. Front mounted ports are easy to add if you need them.

Yeah, that is cheap lol but each to their own.

Personally I'm not a minimalist but I am very very particular on my aesthetics, and I find that most cases are either uninspiring or just shockingly ugly, and sometimes I question that the designers were thinking.

Antec 200? NZXT Gamma? Coolermaster HAF?

I'm just annoyed that the Rampage III Extreme is E-ATX (not that I shuld've been surprised) because I finally settled on the FT02 for my new build and it only goes up to ATX - can't even mod it to fit!
April 10, 2010 10:37:13 PM

I hear nails on a chalkboard when I see the HAFs. Everyone loves them for their functionality though so I'll give em that.
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 11, 2010 8:59:43 PM

I have the Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord PC-K60 case for my personal system. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent with the stock case fans and dust filters. Plenty of room inside the case.

I've had the case for almost 4 months. A few days ago I opened the case so I could do a little experiment. I removed the Thermalright Venomous X cpu heatsink with two 1200 rpm fans and replaced it with my original Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink with one 1600 rpm fan. I also replaced the 1200rpm fan on the rear panel with a 1600rpm fan. I just wanted to see if there would be a difference in cpu temperatures. Dust was not an issue inside the case.

!