Best pci-e sound card

vickdaddy

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hello,
I am retired Navy and decided i needed a hobby...
I have pretty much upgraded to a new system and i would like the best sound card i can buy. My mobo is a gigabyte ex58-ud4p, os is vista home prem 64 bit, i7 920 processor, 6 gb of ocz plat. ddr3-16000 2000mhz.
Running 2 1t WD cavier black in raid, 2 diamond (XOC) radeon HD 4890 cards in crossfire. Antec 850 watt truepower quattro 80 plus power supply.
I have this in a Antec nine hundred two case. I like games, just a beginner, wife likes music alot!
I like it sometimes, will run 7.1 set up. You guys know... the need for speed, graphics and sounds..
If you need to ask....bragging rights.

Thanks

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I personally use only digital outputs when I want decent sound, but that limits what speakers can work. Does your mobo have coax or optical out? These logitech 5.1 speakers have digital in and have an excellent rating. They are however almost $400. for the same price you could get a decent set of sat/sub speakers and a home theater receiver. Sounds like a reason to upgrade the speakers in the mancave and then pass those down to the computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
below is my newegg review for the Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital Speaker System

"Pros: Nice controller pod, plenty of connectivity options, nice remote control and Loud (however considering the quality of what comes out of the speakers I'm not sure that is a good thing.) If you throw the satellite speakers in the trash (where they belong) and hook up some cheap used Klipsch promedia ultra satellite speakers this abomination can sound pretty good!

Cons: I'm simply stunned and amazed that this system has so many 5 star reviews here. This system has the most horrendous quality for music reproduction I have ever heard and yes I do have an excellent sound card. I am also quite a fan of Logitech's other products. At first I thought I must have a bad speaker but, they all sound the same (terrible!) and this wasn't an open box or refurb purchase.

Other Thoughts: I truly am stunned and amazed at all the 5 star reviews. Maybe most of those reviewers use this primarily for movies or TV shows. It does do OK with that, however with music it fails miserably and some of the 5 star reviews mention music. So why? Well all I can figure is it's the Mp3 generation. So if you think 128kbs really is CD quality, you really do put 7,000 songs on a 2GB Mp3 player and right now you are asking your self - what's wrong with that? BUY THIS SYSTEM! IT WAS MADE FOR YOU! But if you are somewhat of an audiophile like me, STAY AWAY! FAR AWAY!"

This is an awful system for music reproduction. The speakers are the biggest problem. I can not stress the last part of my review enough " if you are somewhat of an audiophile like me, STAY AWAY! FAR AWAY!"