Closed Solved

HDD read speed, is this decent??

hello, I am new to building and evaluating computer performance and just want to make sure my system is functioning correctly. I don't have any issues with actual performance while using the computer, I just would like to know if I have it set correctly and am getting the most from it.

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent speed for a HDD. It is a 1TB Seagate Baaracuda (ST31000524AS) 7200 SATA3 drive installed with 2500k, Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 board, using the Intel SATA3 controller port. Configured for IDE not AHCI as I probably should have configured it during installation, live and learn I guess. Is the access time noted in the HDTune result ok?
Any comments appreciated. Thanks

4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about read speed decent
  1. Best answer
    Yeah, that's about what you should get. Not to much to say really. SSD's will be a lot faster and 5400RPM drives will be a little slower.
  2. The readings are good for a drive of that size (or any size) you would have to go for a SSD drive to get any better. The big dips on the graph are probably where another background task momentarily used the hard drive.
  3. Best answer selected by gmbun.
  4. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Performance Computer Storage