Overclocking v!rgin. Am I correct?

hellohappy22

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hi guys!

I have been looking around the net (here the most) about how to over clock. But i'm not sure my theory is correct? :S

I have a FX 4100 and a Asus M5A97 Motherboard.

I have just ordered the CM Hyper 212 Evo+ to cool my CPU.

So when I put on my cooler if I want to over clock can I just put the multiplier to say 20x say that 4.4GHz and just adjust the Vcore accordingly until my system is stable?

^^ That's all that I seem that needs to be done but PLEASE correct me if i am completely wrong! Cheers

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Thats the inefficient way. The FSB is what the multiplier multiplies. For AMD the FSB frequency is 200 Mhz, if you up that you also overclock your RAM so you need to set it a speed lower then bring the speed back to normal with the FSB. Up the voltages of the RAM to 1.65 V to keep them stable, you can raise the multiplier of the CPU (you dont need to as much, so that saves heat and voltage) raise the voltage a bit, raise the northbridge voltage, southbridge voltage, and the hyperlink voltage accordingly. Give it all a try and experiment. You made a smart choice going with Asus as they will revert the bios back to the previous settings if the over clock is unstable. Also, your coolers thermal paste takes time to break in (thermal cycles of the cpu turning on and off) so temps may be high at first. Expariment a bit and always test with prime 95 or something.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I wouldn't recommend scorpinock2's way of OCing for a newbie.

Easiest way for a newb OCer is to set your vcore to the highest safe setting for whatever cpu you have. Then raise you multiplier a couple of steps at a time, rebooting and running prime95 for 15mins untill you fail to start or BSOD. Once you encounter a failure you need to step down one on the multiplier and run prime95 for at least two hours.

Here are a few more settings that you need to change: disable the following- C1E, cool n'quiet, turbo core, and load line calibration. Also set your power profile in windows to performance.
Be sure to always monitor temps and keep them within safe spec for your cpu!!

After you can confirm stability you can lower the vcore to as low as you can while maintaining stability, this will lower your temps and extend the life of your cpu.

I'd highly recommend that you read at least several guides to OCing your particular cpu prior to overclocking yourself. This will help ensure that you don't cause any damage to your system.