SQL Storage IOPs

gklas

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I am working on a pet project that involves parsing data files and processing them in a database(s). The amount of data I will be processing and storing is upwards of 3-4TBs. I am using SQL server 2008 R2 and will need to expand my storage requirements. I am interested in any advice on what type of storage I should use. I have considered building a new physical server with RAID 10 to house my sql server, but I have also considered buying a NAS server with 2x1GB NIC. My question is would it be sufficient for me to use a NAS server or should I just buy a new server and configure the RAID? I dont need the best IOPs, but I need it to be sufficient. I want to stress that this is for a pet project and would not be for enterprise deployment. I currently run a bare metal ESX 4 Update 2 VM server that houses my SQL Server and others with 4x500MB drives. I've look at purchasing the NETGEAR RNDU6000-100NAS Diskless ReadyNAS Ultra 6 and adding 2/3TB drives but I didnt know if this would be fast enough. Any advice?

Solution
there is no NAS box that will be able to keep up with internal storage (in the physical machine)

even tho they will say gigibit ethernet the actual throu put is alot less.

i would definatly look at internal RAID solution, Via a hardware raid card. its going to be cheaper than the NAS box and run quicker.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
there is no NAS box that will be able to keep up with internal storage (in the physical machine)

even tho they will say gigibit ethernet the actual throu put is alot less.

i would definatly look at internal RAID solution, Via a hardware raid card. its going to be cheaper than the NAS box and run quicker.

Solution

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Going with a NAS would be the better route if you intend to use the NAS with other systems as well. If it would only be used for the one server go for internal storage. A NAS with bonded gigabit adapters provides plenty of bandwidth for all but the very high end RAID setups. If going internal I defiantly agree with hugostiglitz recommendation for a hardware RAID card, as this provides a much better solution than builtin "fake raid" cards.

gklas

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I appreciate the advice and insights. I think I will build a new box. I am not familiar with hardware raid controllers. Any suggestions on what I should look for in buying a hardware raid controller?