Sign in with
Your question

Whats wrong with my sysytem

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2010 7:38:24 PM

Hello,

I am so frustrated. I cant get more than 11 frames per second on FSX. That is with 3D clouds turned off. I thought I could run FSX on Max settings by now. Here is my setup;

AMD PhenoM II Black Edition 965 3.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
2 X GFX 280 OC in SLI
Windows 7 64 bit someone help. I thought I upgraded so I could Run FSX with ultra high Graphics. Do I need another system? As I understand FSX runs better while NOT in SLI mode so I disable it. Any suggestions to get 50 fps

More about : whats wrong sysytem

April 9, 2010 7:53:41 PM

You should be able to. I've done it with much lesser systems.

First, the obvious... did you install the video card drivers? Hehe.
April 9, 2010 7:58:37 PM

Yeah are all your drivers up to date?
Related resources
April 9, 2010 8:04:21 PM

Did you patch it for multiple cores?
April 9, 2010 8:04:59 PM

Yes. All video Drivers are up to date and I have DirectX 9c, DirectX 10, And DirectX 11 installed on the machine.
April 9, 2010 8:06:17 PM

I am not sure about the patch for multiple cores. If you mean FSX service pack 2 then yes. If not, then no. What is it and where do i download it from?
April 9, 2010 8:14:52 PM

What your power supply?
April 9, 2010 8:35:07 PM

I do have the multi core update. I have a 950W powersupply. It is the Best Buy brand. I foget the name.
April 9, 2010 9:12:09 PM

the haver a brand of Powersupply. I forget its name..........something Fish
April 9, 2010 9:13:46 PM

^ Rocketfish, IIRC. Isn't Dynex a house brand as well?
April 9, 2010 9:14:07 PM

Hmmm....
Might want to check if it's reliable.
April 9, 2010 9:26:11 PM

Here is a link to some discussion on Rocketfish PSUs from overclock.net: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/276914-anyone-u...

It looks like they may be rebranded PSUs? What I got from it was you would need to look at the PSU and find the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) number. Your unit (if the UL number is correct) is probably made by SHENZHEN CHI YUAN INDUSTRIAL CO LTD, who make pretty much junk brand PSUs. Got this info off of jonnyguru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op...

Double check the manufacturer with the UL database first before jumping to conclusions, though: http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRA...
April 9, 2010 9:37:30 PM

Ok thanks for the info. To the orginal question, how does this play into the mater of the Low Frame Rates on FSX?
April 9, 2010 9:43:12 PM

Ok looks like Rocketfish does pass Hardware Secrets test.
Try disabling the SLI mode.
For the power supply thing i tough you might have a bad PSU limiting the hardware.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 9:46:31 PM

If your PSU isn't up for the task it could hurt performance. (And GTX 280 sli is a BIG task)

Have you tried taking 1 of the cards out to see if that helps? Reinstall video drivers maybe?

You can also try benchmarking on another game/program (3dmark) and see if your PC stacks up to similar systems.
April 9, 2010 10:52:16 PM

Ok, so I have disabled the SLI mode and no significant improvment. I Played ARMA 2 and Mirror's edgeand Crysis. Thy all run beautifully, though the all lock up from time to time. I updated ALL of my video drivers. So am i to take that there is a configuation issue here? From what you can tell from my set up listed at the beginning, I should be able to run FSX at Full graphics and get kick ass frame rates?
April 9, 2010 10:52:57 PM

By the way I am appreciating all the grate advice.
April 9, 2010 10:58:03 PM

That's it!
The lock ups are probably due to a bad PSU ask a experienced member (raidur, etc.) for advice.
April 9, 2010 11:02:00 PM

Really, how does the power supply unit play into lock ups and Poor FPS?
April 9, 2010 11:04:26 PM

It's because it does not supply enough or well enough power it's like eating if you eat badly you will get sick or something.
April 9, 2010 11:07:20 PM

hmmmmmmmmm
April 11, 2010 1:54:21 PM

Yes, a bad or insufficient PSU *could* cause lockups. That doesn't smell like the issue to me here. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say that's the problem here, though. We're looking at a software issue if you're able to play Crysis and Mirror's Edge but not Flight Sim X at a reliable framerate.

Lets go back to square one. Have you tried lowering the Auto Gen settings?
April 11, 2010 2:58:55 PM

What about your HDD? Could be a bad file.
April 11, 2010 3:09:41 PM

Also did you try disabling SLI?
April 11, 2010 4:16:41 PM

Userremoved said:
What about your HDD? Could be a bad file.

Doubtful that it would run sluggishly without error from a corrupted file. You could try a repair operation on the program, but I doubt that'll fix anything.

Userremoved said:
Also did you try disabling SLI?

He said so in the OP.

I'm more willing to attribute his lockups to overheat and the low performance in FFX to a incompatibility somewhere in the system.

Have you attempted to contact Microsoft Games to check for known issues with your hardware?
April 11, 2010 5:06:09 PM

Ok, let me go down the list.

I have adjusted the autogn.
I did disable the SLI (for that program) You know how the Nividia station will let you specify which program uses which set up.
I have done a complete reinstall of FSX.

Results = FPS 5 to 9

I even went down to the lowest resolution. No improvement. I am so perplexed.
Is it the Windows 7? Nvidia Drivers?

I did look up known issues on Microsofts wed site. No significant issues with my equipment.
April 11, 2010 8:54:08 PM

Unsure then. Again, I'd recommend calling to see if they have any ideas, as this appears software-specific.
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 9:30:22 PM

Does this occur with any other games?
April 12, 2010 2:33:54 AM

No. Just this one
!