Unable to change CPU Voltage

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello all, I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ / 3 GHz processor which is a good processor but overheats like crazy when I play Cod 5: World at War.
I've been doing a lot of reading around and read somewhere that decreasing the voltage in the BIOS makes a big temperature change. Problem is the only option i have in the BIOS is either a volatge of 1.5 or set to AUTO. Can anyone help? Thnx

System Specs:

MSI K9A2VM-FD 780V Socket AM2+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual Core AM2 1MB 3.1GHz (125W)
Coolermaster 700W Power Supply
4 GB Geil RAM DDR2 800
XFX ATI 5770
Creative X FI Xtreme Gamer
Soprano Thermal take Case
Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Before you get to tweaking voltages, have you checked the usual stuff... clean case, properly rotating fans, and proper usage of a quality thermal paste?

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yup, ive reseated and cleaned this heatsink many times as well as cleaned the CPU and reapplied arctic silver paste.
I have a total of 3 fans in my system. 2 120mm at the front and read and one 80 mm on the side panel. Temperatures reach about 80 degrees and restarts the PC under load.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Been busy for a few days, so sorry for the delay in response.

You might have an overvolt issue going on. To proceed, you're going to need to find the voltage that's being supplied. If you can install CPU-Z or a similar program and give us that information, we may be able to rule out that possibility.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

No worries... My Core Voltage is: 1.456 V
My CPU is running at stock speed.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Certainly doesn't look like an overvoltage issue to me, unless that measurement was taken under full load. Haven't looked for the specs of the vDroops under full load for the X2 6000+, but I can tell you that you seem to be right around the sweet spot from what I've seen.

There may be an option to type in a voltage in your BIOS, or there may not be. Look for an "Advanced" or "Custom" option. I certainly wouldn't take it below 1.35v, and I doubt you'd see a real difference. But it's worth a try.

I keep going back to your cooling. Are you sure it's fitting flush against the CPU heatsink? If you're enterprising (read: ballsy), you may want to try lapping.

What brand and model pc case do you have? A single 80mm exhaust fan is a red flag indicating you may not have excellent case ventilation, airflow, and cooling.

In addition the Zalman CNPS9500 cpu heatsink is a 5 year old model that is no longer considered a stellar performer by modern standards.

ChrissyMidnite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I have the Soprano Case Thermaltake: http://www.maxcomputer1.com/images/Thermaltake%20Soprano%20case.gif

I was thinking of updating it in the coming week along with either a noctua nh-u12p se2 cooler or the Coolermaster V8 depending on whether or not the Noctua is compatible with my MSI K9A2VM-FD motherboard. I'm hoping that will make a difference.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
So it has dual 120s and a side 90. Is the 90mm fan installed? I had to remove my side fans to fit my coolers in many builds.

That leaves you with two 120s. Assuming the front is set up to "suck" and the rear "blow" (double check this - it's important), and you have sufficient clearance around the case, then you're cooling "OK" at best.

Compare to an Antec 1200... http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njkz&lan=us

TRENDING THREADS