ASUS onboard sound card crackle. Options?

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hey all.

I write this a very disappointed person. I just recently upgraded my rig with some new parts, and have a problem I have never experienced before.

New parts:
ASUS M4N98TD EVO 980a SLI motherboard (probably the culprit)
G.Skill ripjaws 1333 DDR3 CL7
AMD Phenom II x4 955

The build went smoothly enough. but I HATE doing it. Here's the problem. Ever since I finished the new build, music and other audio related things make crackle and pop sounds. It drives me crazy. I have never had this problem before in any of my computers. I am not an audiophile. I don't need excellent sound. But I need sound that doesn't have terrible noises...

After reading the more negative reviews of the motherboard I chose (for its x16/x16 SLI with AM3 platform) I am seeing multiple people say that its sound is pretty terrible. As I said, "terrible sound" is fine. Buggy, choppy, popping and crackling sound is not fine.

I have 2 days left to get an RMA from newegg if i choose that route. Newegg has always been excellent with me, and I don't anticipate a restocking fee. They will probably cover return shipping even. But to think about having to rebuild my system from scratch again (including a Hyper 212+) because of a defective part makes me sick. It had to be the mobo right???

So I am looking for help with my options.

1.) Maybe its not the mobo? I don't know what else it could be...

2.) Return the mobo and get a new one. This is the only AM3 dual x16 sli board I found that is affordable. I bought this part with the intention of keeping it a LONG time...

3.) Buy a dedicated sound card and bypass the problematic on-board sound. Problem with this is adding a sound card was not in my budget. I think the sound quality of the onboard cards has always been good enough for me. To buy a mobo about $40 over my typical mobo budget and then have to add a part is nuts to me. Not only that, this board only has one pci slot available for a sound card, and its right between the graphics card slots.... so it might not fit, and even if it does it will screw up their cooling.

I'm very annoyed. What's the best course of action?

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion but that was the first thing I did.

There are audio drivers listed on the website for that product under my OS (Win 7-64) but there is no change after installing them.

None of the descriptions of any of the other downloads (BIOS) describe anything related to sound or audio.

Any other thoughts anyone?