A remote control To watch Movies on my PC

tommech60

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I Just bought A 23" Monitor to watch Movies on in the bedroom.

I'll be using My PC to play the movies from the DVD player.

Both the Monitor and my 4850 video card have HDMI, DVI (2 on the Card), And D-Sub video connections.
The monitor does have an Audio connection but I would rather use the Sub and Sattelight speakers connected to the PC for sound.

Is there an input device I could hook up to the USB port on the front to control the usual items I.E.
Play, fast forward, pause, volume etc like on a "regular DVD player remote?"

A wired connection like a mini keyboard? Even better, a wireless remote communicating with a usb wireless unit plugged into the front of my PC?

Searches on the net want to point me to remote access to a PC "from anywhere"... I just need 10 feet or so of range.

I don't really need a tv tuner card but it wouldnt be a terrible thing to have just in case for later "expansion" especially if that is the only way to get it done.

Thanks alot for your help,

Tom

Well i had an ATI remote control back when i had a AIW card but i dont know if its compatable with a standard card or not.
Failing that you could do what my daughter does and just use a remote keyboard. She can lay on her bed which is at least 10 ft away and it works fine.
Like this she can check emails etc without moving when the movie has finished.

Mactronix

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you have a Media Center edition of Windows (XP MCE, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate, 7 Home Premium/Ultimate), you can get a Media Center Remote Control.

I have this one and I love it! For the record, I did NOT spend $100 on it (more like $35 a couple years ago). I also have this Microsoft Wireless MCE Keyboard paired with it, though I'm not too fond if the little mouse nipple control. Both of these are IR and require line of sight to the USB IR Receiver.

I also have a remote control identical to one that comes with a TV Tuner like this one that works just as well. [strike]This remote control is RF and does not require line of sight.[/strike]

Google "MCE Remote Control" and you might find something you like.

@Mactronix - I still have my AIW Remote Control as well (not in use). While it does have a USB port connector, I'm fairly certain you need the ATI Remote Wonder software to use it and of course, in order to use that, you probably need the ATI Multi-Media Center software as well.

-Wolf sends

Edit: My bad. The second remote control I linked is NOT RF, but IR and does require line of sight as well. Sorry

I have 3 of them, one came with my Fujitsu, one came with the Xbox HDDVD, and the other I got with my Hauppauge tuner.

Easiest way to get one with all the Windows functions, just get an X360 one;
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360universalremote/

Or the advanced Harmony (now Logitech) one, or any Logitech one really (they can be programmed for anything).

The X360 is my favourite of the 3 I have, although I prefer my Harmony 890 for my TV, HiFi, BR, & converter.

leon2006

Distinguished
Here's what i use.. Logitech DinoMini. Its very responsive even on large multimedia room.

Since it functions as mice and keyboard it works on any function/software of the PC.

It very reliable and functions well even when i wake up pc from sleep mode. It has multimedia keys that works well with media center & other multimedia software on the PC. Its PS3 compatible.

It runs on bluetooth interface.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848&cl=us,en

tommech60

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

How would I get the Xbox remote to interface with my computer?

Thanks for your help

Tom