Want to buy a new computer, can't decide what to buy

Hi guys! I need your help with buying a new computer, it will be used for Graphics (Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel, 3DMax, Maya, CAD, ...etc..).
I am thinking to a quad processor from Intel (intel core 2 quad Q9550 2.83Ghz, 1333Mhz, 12MB cash, LGA775 Socket), but there is one problem, I've read a lot of information about it, and it is specified that socket LGA775 is enough old, and there will be problems in the further with upgrading it. So I don't know what to do. I like here the cash level. Know that it is an important detail.
I've think and to an AMD based computer to, really don't know if it is a good idea, maybe a Phenom II X4 quad core.....
The budget is ~900$ for all accessories and details needed for it (max 1000$). Please if you have some good ideas, help me!
Many thanks to all!
Hope I'll get the right answer...
:hello: ;)
16 answers Last reply
More about want computer decide
  1. What components are included in the $900 - $1000 budget? What other things will you do with the computer? Are you wanting to play any games at all? Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, etc...

It would help if you edited your post to follow the format in the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky at the top of the forum.

You absolutely should not be considering a new build around the dead LGA 775 socket. An AMD AM3 build would probably be best for your budget and needs. I'll put one together when I get a minute at work.
  2. ohh, it will be really great. Many thanks, I will investigate and the idea on AMD AM3.
    About other things, let's say that the sum will be 700$ for computer's base (without: monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS - I have those things). Need just the base with all details: processor, motherboard, video (don't think that a integrated one will be good, but at the start I can use one of that type, and within few months to buy one good video card, that's to reduce the budget, and to invest it in other more important items as processor or motherboard, about RAM I can say the same, the first time it's enough 2 GB DDR 3, and within few weeks I will buy more 2, 4Gb... etc. I am investing in the most important parts, and by the time I will add the other components if that will be necessary. About the use of this computer - as I told (graphics - Adobe Package, 3DMax, Maya, Cad... etc, and few games to :) ).
  3. to shortstuff_mt:
    can I ask you, I see that you have enough knowledge about the computer's architecture, if you are able to put one AMD X3 and one Intel quad together to make an idea and a comparison within them, that can make a decision on my choice...
    Thanks again!
  4. many thanks!
  5. my lastest build
    I had some redstrictions on money so yeah some things are creppy, but still you can make an idea

C2Q 8300 ( would have take a 9550 if the budget was right )
    gigabyte UD3LR p45
    2 gigs ram ADATA extreme edition 800+ DDR2 ( I wanted 4 gigs )
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1024MB DDR3
    seasonic 600W for power

it was about 600dolars in my country ( which is not USA), in USA it would have probably cost about 500 $ or less

what i dont understand is why do people think 775 is dead, maybe its dead for the ultra rich brats who always want the newest and the best, but for us mortals the 775 still has some juice in it and for a really good price
    imagine the price difference for upgrading to ddr3 and new mobos with the new socket and chipset, not to emntion the price of the corei7 procs, THE HORROR
  6. deceneu said:
    my lastest build
    I had some redstrictions on money so yeah some things are creppy, but still you can make an idea

C2Q 8300 ( would have take a 9550 if the budget was right )
    gigabyte UD3LR p45
    2 gigs ram ADATA extreme edition 800+ DDR2 ( I wanted 4 gigs )
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1024MB DDR3
    seasonic 600W for power

it was about 600dolars in my country ( which is not USA), in USA it would have probably cost about 500 $ or less

what i dont understand is why do people think 775 is dead, maybe its dead for the ultra rich brats who always want the newest and the best, but for us mortals the 775 still has some juice in it and for a really good price
    imagine the price difference for upgrading to ddr3 and new mobos with the new socket and chipset, not to emntion the price of the corei7 procs, THE HORROR

then on the same coin, why get intel? they are overpriced and change the socket every second cpu they take out.
    take amd, same socket and backwards capability and more reasonable pricing.

in my country(not us), the i# hardware prices are dropping but the 775 hardware stays the same...
  7. I am in Moldova, so I can't buy from a lot of online seller companies, maybe someone knows a online seller site where I can buy all details, and they will ship them to me?..
    About the 775 socket - I am very pleasured about it, my old computer is on this socket, that was an idea I've read on the net
  8. on http://newegg.com - they are not shipping to Moldova :(
  9. one more Question, about the GForce, I have it on my old computer, my opinion is that it is really good, what do you think?
  10. Nvidia always rocks! :)
    Go for a higher & latest versions of GeForce
  11. saran008 said:
    Nvidia always rocks! :)
    Go for a higher & latest versions of GeForce

Many thanks! I'll do so!
  12. I don't know where that Nvidia comment came from. Nvidia hasn't released anything decent for almost a year. Fermi has been delayed for so long nobody knows when it will actually be released. The current ATI cards perform better, use less power, run cooler, and have DX11. Tell me again why he should currently buy an Nvidia card?
  13. daggs said:
    then on the same coin, why get intel? they are overpriced and change the socket every second cpu they take out.
    take amd, same socket and backwards capability and more reasonable pricing.

in my country(not us), the i# hardware prices are dropping but the 775 hardware stays the same...

you are kidding, right?
    the 775 was present for EONS
    and during the 775 reign it was the intel platform which had backwards capability
    yes, the prices are a little bit higher, but acceptable

exemple
    there were many guys who didnt had enough money to buy a new rig in one shot so what they did waas like this:
    step 1: buy a good mobo with one of the latest chipset available at the time ( not x chipset but the medium ones, like P35, p45, 965 etc ), with the cheapest celeron proc that was accepted by the mobo
    step 2: upgrade a few months later when the prices were a little biit down and they made soem more casha nd buy a core 2 duo or a quad core
    step 3: upgrade any other component that could not be bought in the first 2 steps, like 4 gigs ram or a higher end graph etc
    and this is not just cheap talk ( theory ) , this was by myself and most of my friends, and when making these rigs we also considered the AMD side but when we analized the apauling number of sochests and the limited number of upgrades we gave it up on AMD
    ex: 754, 939, 940, am2, am2+, am3, usualy having 3 sochets activew at any given time,
    INTEL HAD JUST ONE FOR MANY YEARS: 775

Disclaimer:
    my info is not on the 2009 year in which I lost contact with the industry, my opinions are valid for the period before 2009 and I will defend it as I know its the corect one.
    if in 2009 the situation changed I have nothing to comment about it as I am not informed yet about the these changes.
  14. deceneu said:
    you are kidding, right?
    and during the 775 reign it was the intel platform which had backwards capability

exemple
    there were many guys who didnt had enough money to buy a new rig in one shot so what they did waas like this:
    step 1: buy a good mobo with one of the latest chipset available at the time ( not x chipset but the medium ones, like P35, p45, 965 etc ), with the cheapest celeron proc that was accepted by the mobo
    step 2: upgrade a few months later when the prices were a little biit down and they made soem more casha nd buy a core 2 duo or a quad core
    step 3: upgrade any other component that could not be bought in the first 2 steps, like 4 gigs ram or a higher end graph etc
    and this is not just cheap talk ( theory ) , this was by myself and most of my friends, and when making these rigs we also considered the AMD side but when we analized the apauling number of sochests and the limited number of upgrades we gave it up on AMD
    ex: 754, 939, 940, am2, am2+, am3, usualy having 3 sochets activew at any given time,

Disclaimer:
    my info is not on the 2009 year in which I lost contact with the industry, my opinions are valid for the period before 2009 and I will defend it as I know its the corect one.
    if in 2009 the situation changed I have nothing to comment about it as I am not informed yet about the these changes.

hmmm... and in a final, you know, i was thinking about that idea, to buy a better mobo and processor, and with time to upgrade other pieces, and at the end I am thinking more to at an AMD based PC...
    Thanks!
  15. deceneu said:
    you are kidding, right?

exemple

Disclaimer:

all amd from the last 5-6 years have backwards capability.
    show me a mb from 2-3 years ago that will support a c2d right?
    any am2+ socket from 2-3 years ago will support an new amd cpu (if the TDP is right ofcourse) without a problem or with minimal bios update.
    currently, intel has 3 sockets, 775,1156 and 1366. you cannot upgrade from one to another without buying an new mb and cpu.
    that's not the same for amd.
    no 775 mb from 3-4 years ago will support c2d.
    try to upgrade your cpu in a year or 2, you'll probably won't find any and if you'll do, they will cost like current cpus.
    anyone who is building a comp for the future basing it on 775 socket is wasting his money.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product