9800 gtx doesn't fit mobo (new pc build)

Oatmealguy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I recently put together my first computer and by that I mean I watched a friend do it. Everything worked great except the evga 9800 gtx couldn't fit the motherboard because of the sata ports blocking it from seating. The motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h. Any advice on the best card I could get to fit or how to fix my dilema?

Yeah, use the other SATA ports. That board has 5 ports, though it looks like the top most one is obviously blocked. The bottom two should be usable, while the middle two could be accessible with a SATA cable that has a 90 degree end to allow it to go under the cards cooler. Your other option is of course to get a GPU without a shrouded cooler, like the current 5770, or just a shorter card that won't block any of your SATA ports.

Oatmealguy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
As for using the other ports wasn't really an option because the card actually over laps up to about half way on the furthest two ports or at least enough to where we couldn't' get them in. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be getting that 9800gtx in there and at this point am just trying to find another good performance card that I know can fit. I don't know anything about shrouded coolers and how they relate to gpu sizes. Any suggestions for smaller sized comparable performance cards?