What about the Nvidia graphic cards.

claigeo2007

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I am looking to buy a video card for arround 350.00. Is the 5850 or 5870 the best card for the money. Is it the general consensus that ATI has the best video card. What dose Nvidia have to offer. Please be frank.
Thank you
-George

Solution
Nvidia's current offerings in that range arent very promising, their GTX285 perform similarly to a 5850, produces more heat, uses more power, and often costs more too. The GTX295 performs slightly better than a 5870 which generating a LOT more heat, using significantly more power, and sometimes suffering from crashes at the highest settings and resolutions with its 768MB frame buffer compared to the 5870's 1GB.

nVidia's Fermi based cards are due out eventually(supposedly march, but they may be launched in conjunction with duke nukem forever) but until they arrive ATI has the best options for the higher price ranges unless you are really really attached to physx.
Nvidia's current offerings in that range arent very promising, their GTX285 perform similarly to a 5850, produces more heat, uses more power, and often costs more too. The GTX295 performs slightly better than a 5870 which generating a LOT more heat, using significantly more power, and sometimes suffering from crashes at the highest settings and resolutions with its 768MB frame buffer compared to the 5870's 1GB.

nVidia's Fermi based cards are due out eventually(supposedly march, but they may be launched in conjunction with duke nukem forever) but until they arrive ATI has the best options for the higher price ranges unless you are really really attached to physx.

Solution

:heink: I see what you did there. :lol:

claigeo2007

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Well megamanx00,
What do you think about the 5870 as compared to the duel 5770's. Also, can you tell me something about the 5870 in contrast to buying the a 5850. Do you think the 5870 is worth the money, or should I stick with the buying a 5850.
-George