krak3r420

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
hello i have a hp a705w desktop and i just bought a p4 2.8 1M 800mhz cpu and it only runs at 1.4ghz at 400mhz but my mother board supports 533 fsb as i am using a celeron d 2.93 at 533mhz fsb so what gives why cant i get 2.8 ghz out of my pentium 4?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You said your motherboard supports FSB-533 and you're trying to run an FSB-800 processor on it. That means it will default to FSB-400 and run at half speed. Your question is now answered.

There are several versions of the P4 2.8, including FSB 400 and FSB 533 versions. You obviously got the wrong one for that board if you want it to run at full speed.

krak3r420

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
but if i were to do the mod, will i see ANY performance improvement? so your saying i can do the mod but it's not worth it cause the gains(if any) will not be much? do you think the mod will work for me at all or just break the cpu and not be able to post? thanks for all your help everyone!!! :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You could pin mod it to default to FSB-533, but doing so would only raise your speed from 1400 to 1866 MHz. I wouldn't call that small of an improvement a worthwhile investment of effort.

The problem is that the multiplier is locked at 14, so it's going to be 14x100 (1400 for FSB-400), 14x133 (1866 for FSB-533), or 14x200 (2800 for FSB-800) but your board does NOT support FSB-800.

krak3r420

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
so what your saying is that for my purposes for this mod... which is to improve system performance in all applications including but not limited to boot speed, application load time/response rate and overall performance in games(not demanding games either just wanted a few more fps) that i should stick with my stock celeron for this particular motherboard and just wait for a cheap socket 478 motherboard with a 800mhz fsb and just slap it in there! i'm just a nerd with a little time on his hands and some new(well new to me...) components, namely a PCI YES I SAID PCI NOT PCI-E OR AGP... YEAH READ IT AGAIN IF YOU NEED TO IT'S A PCI NVIDIA 9400 GT AND A PENTIUM 4 2.8 1M 800mhz PRESCOT chip, i got those off ebay to upgrade my very aging hp a705w... (look it up if you feel the need to laugh at some old crappy hardware... but it still runs great and i still love it. ) and well the main purpose was to play street fighter iv for the pc and guess what... if i turn off EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING INCLUDING BACKGROUNDS LOL IT PLAYS AT A AWESOME FIXED AND STEADY FRAMERATE OF 60 FPS LOL I DID IT BUT BARELY... LOL. ok enough caps... I just proved to myself that almost anything can play that game as long as you have a dx9 capable video card, the min specs are 1 gig ram(i have 768) and a pentium 4 2.4ghz, i am extremely surprised that a celeron 2.93 and a 533mhz fsb motherboard and 768 of 400mhz will actually work to just play the game in 640x480 with everything turned off lol. I DID IT CAPCOM I AM PLAYING SFIV ON A REALLY REALLY OLD COMP. just goes to show how much time they spent optimizing the pc version, i read a interview that the creator of the game wanted a steady platform so they chose to code it all in direct x 9 and optimize the hell out of it so it would be able to play well across multiple computer configurations... well my friends they succeeded!!! take my word for it if you only have a pci slot and want better video performamce(i mean it's a pci slot so don't expect miracles... lol) then get a pci version of evga's 9400 gt, there on ebay i got mine for $61, it replaced my old ati radeon 9200 and man was i glad to get that piece of crap out of my computer, lol it was a nice video card in its day but omg it's so outdated and IT'S NOT EVEN GOT HARDWARE DX9 SUPPORT, so naturally sfiv would just crash on load with that card, after i popped in the 9400 gt it loaded right up and wow i can't believe how my old pc is performing now, it's not a super awesome performance gain but man is it enough to satisfy me and my expectations. please just explain in detail the potential performance gains i might get if i did this pin mod and just for go the new motherboard, i mean would the p4 with pin mod still be a little faster than my celeron d... i mean it's a celeron d... your telling me that a p4 2.8 even if it's not running at complete full clock rate that my celeron d would still out perform it. really? i mean it's a celeron d? i know that my system is the bottle neck but the p4 with pin mod would not process things faster before it hit the bottle neck of my system? just want to know if any gains are possible with my hardware that i have if i do the pin mod. thanks again. man that was long sorry about that just wanted to explain my situation, THANKS AGAIN THIS FORUM IS AWESOME!!!!!! :) :) :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You said your motherboard supports FSB-533 and you're trying to use an FSB-800 processor.

You said your motherboard supports FSB-533 and you're trying to use an FSB-800 processor.

Let me repeat!

You can pin mod it to run 1.86 GHz instead of 1.40 GHz.

Why would you try to put another FSB-800 processor into a board that doesn't support FSB-800?

The PIN MOD is for making a processor detect at a higher FSB. If your board doesn't support that higher FSB, you can't make it support the higher FSB by doing the pin mod.

The pin mod does NOT change what your board supports, it only changes what it thinks your CPU is.