Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SSD Newb Looking For Suggestions and Info

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2012 7:14:37 AM

Sorry just almost finished writing up my entire page long post. Gonna try to write this up as short as possible now lol.

I was told to get SSDs for my old gaming rig. Found out i was bottlenecking their performance and didnt care much for them. Im gonna give them another go after i get my new build setup. These SSDs were crucial c300 SSDs.

Now i have a new gaming rig i just setup and wanna do a lot with it. A crazy amount of gaming multitasking and well pretty much anything u can think of besides overclocking until i need to.

I was told by a friend that i was crazy for building this computer and not getting any SSDs for it.
He convinced me that i should get some and told me to go with 2 SF-2500/2600 Sand Force SSDs. I couldnt find anything with that name or any sand force 2500 or 2600 SSDs on amazon and newegg. I even tried looking for any kind of sand force ssd on newegg and there are none.

I did some digging around and found that my best bet seemed to be getting 2 crucial m4 SSDs. But considering my lack of knowledge when it comes to SSDs idk if this is my best bet or not.

My friend tried to explain that if i got an SSD i could have windows on my SSDs and keep my games on HDDs and that would increase my performance over just using top of the line HDDs and keeping my games and what not on my C Drive.

I did a bunch of research before i made my new gaming rig and everywhere i went people were saying that SSDs do not increase gaming performance in any way, all they do is make loading screens run faster/take less time. But my friend who builds computers for a living told me thats not the case. When it comes to simple shooters yeah it doesnt matter what drives u have, but when it comes to stuff like battlefield 3 or skyrim, and im thinking the new batman as well, that i will notice a big difference when running the games with SSDs. Whats everyones opinion on this?

Would you guys recommend i get SSDs for my new build, and if so which ones are the best, or would be the best ones for me to get?

Im running with...
CPU: intel core i7-3960x (lga 2011)
Mobo: asus rampage IV extreme (lga 2011)
RAM: 32 gigs of quad channel g.skill ripjaws z series ram (4 sticks) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPUs: 2 nvidia geforce gtx 590 classified edition cards
PSU: corsair ax1200
HDDs: 2 wd caviar black drives, 1.5tb each at 7200 rpm and 64mb cache 6 gig sata compatible
CPU cooler: corsair h100 hydro cpu cooler in a push pull config
Case: cooler master HAF X blue edition

If u dont have anything positive/helpful to contribute please dont bother posting.
- Thanks
Related resources
February 4, 2012 10:13:54 AM

Can you guys let me know what u think about running games with SSDs? Does it actually help gaming performance in any game, or does it only help load times?

If i dont get any good suggestions my fall back option is 1 or 2 crucial m4s at 256 gigs each.

I was told that basically as long as im running an SSD as my C partition it will help my games run faster even tho they are on regular HDDs. I originally was keeping games on my older SSDs but dont have any room for anything due to keeping my games on there.

If i can run the SSDs on my new setup and benefit from using them for gaming performance i would love to do that, but if it doesnt matter whether i use SSDs or not then i dont care. And if they do help gaming performance and it doesnt matter if they are on the SSDs or not then ill gladly get a crucial m4 and keep my games on one of my 6 gig sata HDDs.
February 4, 2012 10:27:24 AM

Thanks for the link, ill have to read it tomorrow im exhausted atm. I did a quick scan on several pages and i didnt see anything talking about gaming performance. And by gaming performance i mean in game rendering speeds, frame rates, and if my system would benefit form using an SSD to allow me to run higher settings. I have no care what so ever for load times.

If lets say using an SSD helped increase my in game performance while playing battlefield 3 on 3 monitors with and without 3D i would want to get some SSDs. If they only help the loading screens run faster i couldnt care less.

I like the idea of having an SSD for many other reasons but the main reason i would buy one is for gaming. I might just buy one and run all my games off an HDD, but i wanna see if thats the case or not.

I had another thread on here where everyone was saying SSDs only affect load screens for games. I was then told by 2 people who build computers for a living that everyone that said that was a moron and that they have a big impact on in game performance.

The only logical sounding answer i got was from a friend explaining that a game like skyrim or battlefield 3 would benefit from using an SSD, but that i didnt have to have my games on the SSD to reap the benefits. That last part didnt seem to make much sense tho lol.

Either way ill be reading that article tomorrow, thanks again :) 
a c 259 4 Gaming
a c 260 G Storage
February 4, 2012 12:13:53 PM

themadhatta said:
Thanks for the link, ill have to read it tomorrow im exhausted atm. I did a quick scan on several pages and i didnt see anything talking about gaming performance. And by gaming performance i mean in game rendering speeds, frame rates, and if my system would benefit form using an SSD to allow me to run higher settings. I have no care what so ever for load times.

If lets say using an SSD helped increase my in game performance while playing battlefield 3 on 3 monitors with and without 3D i would want to get some SSDs. If they only help the loading screens run faster i couldnt care less.

I like the idea of having an SSD for many other reasons but the main reason i would buy one is for gaming. I might just buy one and run all my games off an HDD, but i wanna see if thats the case or not.

I had another thread on here where everyone was saying SSDs only affect load screens for games. I was then told by 2 people who build computers for a living that everyone that said that was a moron and that they have a big impact on in game performance.

The only logical sounding answer i got was from a friend explaining that a game like skyrim or battlefield 3 would benefit from using an SSD, but that i didnt have to have my games on the SSD to reap the benefits. That last part didnt seem to make much sense tho lol.

Either way ill be reading that article tomorrow, thanks again :) 

Loading the game/scene faster in for example fps puts you on the map faster than the opponent which gives you an advantage.
February 4, 2012 12:38:39 PM

If you run programs in the background like a virus scanner, or fraps while you play then it will help keep your framerate up as well. If you don't run anything in the background, then it will just help loading times. You won't see any increase in framerate if all your running is the game.

PS: After switching to a SSD I can honestly say that I wouldn't be able to go back to a regular drive. I have jumped on a few friends computers that don't have SSD's, and it's definitly noticable to say the least.
February 4, 2012 7:16:14 PM

Yeah i love super fast load times, even with my bottlenecked c300s in my current/old gaming rig i love the speed, i just hated being so limited in terms of space.

It seems like my best bet is to get two of the crucial m4s at 256 gb. I cant find anything better and thats what my friend said i should get. Anyone have any better suggestions or can anyone verify that this is most likely my best bet?

Thanks again for all the help and info guys :) 

Best solution

a c 257 G Storage
February 5, 2012 5:41:44 PM

Here is my standard recommendation:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.
February 7, 2012 12:28:58 AM

Thanks thats an amazing amount info. Sounds like the 830s are way better than the m4s so now im just waiting to return the m4s since i jumped the gun on that. Then ill use my store credit and have to add a bit so i can get an 830 setup. Thinking im gonna go with their biggest SSD then down the road i can get another instead of going with 2 smaller sized ones and later getting a 3rd.

I like having the extra sata slots XD
February 7, 2012 12:29:16 AM

Best answer selected by themadhatta.
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
February 7, 2012 7:16:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!