Sign in with
Your question

Anyway to disable a pci-e slot in the bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 6, 2010 1:29:50 PM

Hi,

I have a gtx 260 as a dedicated phsyx card, but am pushing my system in terms of power.

I just played through mafia 2 without any problems, but for power concerns, as well as the fact that having the card in my computer reduces the bandwidth of my other card (asus 5970: I think from 16x to 8x), I was wondering if there is anyway of disabling a card in the bios, without having to actually physically remove it.

I know I can disable it in windows, but was wondering if there was a way of selectivily disabling and enabling it in the bios, so that it isn't even fired up apon booting. I haven't searched my motherboard manual yet, but don't remember seeing this as a possiblity. I will check when I get home, but was just wondering if this is something that is remotely possible.

Thanks in advance.

System:
asus p6td deluxe motherboard
corsair 6GB dominators,
asus 5970
gainward gtx 260
i7 920 @ 3.8
corsair 750w TX
xonar sound card

More about : disable pci slot bios

a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2010 1:39:43 PM

Your PC is fine. 750W should be enough to handle both cards. Unless you overclock.

By the way, there's no option of disabling a slot. All you can do is unplug the GTX260.
September 6, 2010 4:44:13 PM

ok thanks.

is there any real benefit of having a pci-e at 16x over 8x anyway?

I remember a year or so ago there were no video cards that would use more bandwidth than that offer by pci-e 8x anyway. In which case i'll leave the 260 in there till the next phsyx game.
!