AMD Phenom II vs i5 or i7 for single core processing?

seano_01

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i'm in a position of attempting to compare apples to oranges: only need a single core (no threading as i'm building a computer to run a piece developed in "processing") yet i can't really find a suitable comparison for just the single core performance.
i've read through many of the posts here and have tried to find the benchmark tests that will show me what the fastest single core speed is. i don't know whether overclocking or turbo would be an asset within the processing environment.

i'll be using the computer to drive 3 geforce cards (probably 8400) and really only need the cpu to compute as fast as possible to send info out to the 6 projectors that will be hooked up to the 3 geforce cards.

choices seem to be:
AMD Phenom II x2 555
AMD Phenom II x4 965
i5 661
i5 750
i7 860

how can i evaluate these for this very specific use?

thanks

Solution
"no threading as i'm building a computer to run a piece developed in "processing" "

Sorry what? That sentence makes no sense to me. Could you be more specific?

drive 3 geforce cards (probably 8400) and really only need the cpu to compute as fast as possible to send info out to the 6 projectors that will be hooked up to the 3 geforce cards.

Sounds like you could use a multi-core system. Executing in parallel has more advantages and is used more often than you may think. Also, what information? Details help evaluate what is best for you.

To answer your question though, The Phenom IIx2 will perform the same as the x4 clock per clock per core. (ie in this case 1 core of the 555=1 core of the 955. If you are willing to...
"no threading as i'm building a computer to run a piece developed in "processing" "

Sorry what? That sentence makes no sense to me. Could you be more specific?

drive 3 geforce cards (probably 8400) and really only need the cpu to compute as fast as possible to send info out to the 6 projectors that will be hooked up to the 3 geforce cards.

Sounds like you could use a multi-core system. Executing in parallel has more advantages and is used more often than you may think. Also, what information? Details help evaluate what is best for you.

To answer your question though, The Phenom IIx2 will perform the same as the x4 clock per clock per core. (ie in this case 1 core of the 555=1 core of the 955. If you are willing to overclock, you can increase this speed to the same as the 965 or higher with the unlocked multiplier. Either way though, it will be your best if what you want it:
-As few cores as possible
-very good performance per core
-excellent value for just using two cores.

Previous was the best value answer. However the core i7 of course will be the most powerful. Turbo will be an asset for single core performance. That i7 model's max turbo is 3.46GHz. The i5 750 goes up to 3.2GHz. The i5 661 is stock 3.2GHz and goes up to 3.6GHz. So I guess the second best value and probably the best performance for you would be the i5 661. So the i5 is best if you want:
-as few cores as possible
-excellent performance per core
-more expensive

I cannot evaluate these for your specific use because you were not clear on your specific use or you did not provide enough details on your specific use.

Solution

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
In single core processing:

i5-661 > i7-860 > i5-750 due to higher frequency and much stronger Turbo mode on i5-661

i5/i7 > PII due to Intel CPU's Turbo mode and higher IPC.

Hence, i5-661 > i7-860 > i5-750 > PII-555/965.

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
if you are a Gamer Go for The PHII 955BE and Overclock it to 3.6GHZ if can the 965BE is just a OC'ed 955

but if you are programer and use alot of RIps and Compress go for the i5 750
and if you are loaded with cash go for i7

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Get a new intel dual core and OC the crap out of it. 4ghz is easy with those chips on even stock cooler and stock or near stock voltages.

You'll get the highest OC out of a intel dual core (i3 or i5 dual) while drawling the least power and emitting the least heat. Simple as that.

As been said, the i5-661 is your best bet if you aren't OCing.

Personally I'd go with i3 (i5 dual cores look like wasted money to me) and take it to ~4.6ghz. :) But that's just me.

seano_01

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
thanks!
interestingly, we've figured out a way to use more than one core within the processing dev environment in the past couple of days, so our chip choice is a lot easier. i was really looking at the i3 and i5 chips before... definitely looking into overclocking them. now it looks like the i7 860 may be our best option as will will be threading to as many cores as we can get, hence, the quad core makes sense.

seano_01

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
alright. the choice has been made.
i sprang for an i7 930 (similar in price to the others) but (on the asus p6x58 premiere board) forward compatible to the potential of 6 cores and the higher end i7s if i ever get there. the asus board has a "turbo" (oc) functionality build in via a control panel that ships with it and so: with a massive master cooler cpu unit i'm set to punch this set up if i feel the need.

while some of the other new intel chips have a higher latent ghz i was lured by the prospect of forward compatiilbity (guaranteed by asus on this board).

thanks for the advice everybody, you really helped me sort this out.