• Go for kit

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Go for custom

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I would like input in my best bet on a New cooling loop.
To start I will do CPU only I5 2500K currently oc to 4.5 currently cooled by a Corsair H80 with Areocool Shark fans in push pull venting out.
In the future I may get a bloock for mt EVGA 680 GTX 4 gig reference card.
Case is Corsair 600T White Power is AX850.
I can fit a 240 rad it the top or a 200 rad in front without cutting and have followed a loop build on youtube with my case that has 360 up top with some trimming and the 200 up front very slick but very costly to build.

This total build is more for my pleasure that actual need and I really like some of the XSPC Kits $300 budget max to start.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

The GPU will be later. So for now CPU only.

Is a solid metal block better that one with plastic?
Is the basic XSPC pump/Res decent. a XSPC X20 750 pump

Lutfij

Titan
mr gilty - please go to the watercooling sticky located in my sig. It'll clear alot out of your head and give you much crucial info on your watercooling endeavor. We are here answering your question as we have been there and done that, however you'll be the one managing and running the loop.

there's a WC'ing kit section to answer most/all your doubts.

my 2 cents.

Edit:
with a D5 kit you can't go wrong with it. It's great to run just a CPU only loop, and when you'll win the lotto - you'll want the gpu's under water too. If your going custom on this CPU-first loop then the price would be a lil higher...since the D5 kit when assembled off the shelf would equate to a much higher price tag than the current ~$300 range.

I started with an RX240 kit and expanded, the kits available now are much better, uprated blocks and a choice of pumps,
Go for the best kit you can to start and go from there, and consider an external radbox for extra cooling, you don't have to squeeze everything into the case :)
X20 750L V2 pump is decent but the D5 is better and the acrylic part of the block doesn't affect cooling, that part is only the mount, it holds the actual block in place,
but +1 to reading through the sticky, it will help you decide a lot for yourself and feed more questions :)
Moto

As far as the solid vs plastic as long as you are above ambient, it does not matter it's more of a looks choice, what matters is what's inside the block.

Excuse me for saying so but if running your 2500K at 4.5ghz is your goal, then what you are presently running CPU wise is just fine.

Water cooling your GPU would make a difference but not for it all to be on the same loop, the 2500K is a hot little sucker overclocked to 4.5ghz, you may not realize how hot until you add a GPUs heat to the mix.

Been There, Done That! :)

The temptation going with a kit is you get a CPU water block, you have to buy the GPU block separately, now you have in hand a CPU and GPU water block, and a radiator that came with the kit barely capable to support the overclocked 2500K, but since you have it in hand you think if you add another radiator you can run it all in one loop! :non:

IMO to have the proper cooling radiator heat dissipation from my 2500K and 580GTX experience you need 2 480 dual pass radiators to deal with the heat, now I'm sure there will be some to argue against what I'm telling you, but remember I told you this if you attempt a lesser solution.

Ryan

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^that sounds very excessive...
I have 2 6970s (one is an unlocked 6950) and a 2500k running on a 360 rad with a d5 strong pump. The 2500k is oced at 5GHz (~1.46v) and the gpus are oced a bit.
Works fine. Granted I have fairly loud fans and a decent rad.

In my understanding, it's a simple formula of:
Watts dissipated > watts generated

i5 = 95W
680 = 195W
So with 20% headroom for ocing, he needs at least 348W of "dissipation potential".
Assuming 2 rx240 rads are at least as good as one rx360, and he gets a d5 pump, he should be fine starting with one 240 and buying another with the gpu block. Right?

Or he could just start with an rx360 rad and according to http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360-v2/2/ he would need at least 1000rpm yate loons (which are fairly quiet) for a ~10c delta. That kit would cost him $300 from dazmode. Not sure about the other stores.

I'm not an expert though, so tell me if I'm screwing my math up somewhere.

Slight issue on the mths there, an overclocked 2500k isn't using a mere 95w, more like 200w being put into the water
Two Rx240's would be slightly better than a 360 given the extra 120" of space,
If the longterm plan is to cool the cards as well then theres no reason not to get a 360 straight off and add a 140 or larger later on when the card gets added,
But again, the sticky will cover this for Op to learn
Moto

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Shopping List

DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed by Laing on Sale 79.95
ClearFlex 60 Tubing 3/8 id x 5/8 od 10 FT 10.00
Monsoon Compression 3/8" x 5/8" 6pk - Black 28.79
DD-M6 Brass CPU Block - LGA 2011, 1155/1156 59.96
DD-Crystal Reservoir (Dual 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir)31.96
Black Ice Pro II Radiator 240mm slim dual pass 33.56
sub total 244.22

This is a little list of things I liked on DD website and prices listed are all including the 20% off sale.
I want the RAD to fit in the top of my 600T case under the black screen and the fans would be under the RAD inside the case.
This will be CPU only to start and I would add a Phobya 200 Rad up gron when I do the GPU

Lutfij

Titan
now how'd you get such a good deal on that M6 brass?!?
Black Ice Pro II Radiator 240mm slim dual pass
have you figured out the FPI's on them rads and your preferred audible range for your fans?
* rubix is officially right - everyone posting for radiator advice almost every-time have to include the Black Ice rads in their choice of parts - intriguing [:lutfij:2].

under the black screen
you mean black mesh
** a rule in watercooling - unless your case supports it, don't cram rads into a case - be generous to allow cooler air to pass through rads and not foul up temps as they move across components.

*** tygon tubing can be had from homedepot - which'll be better for your loop aesthetically(as time goes).

some help on your watercooling+case:
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cases_cooling/corsair_600t_watercooling_modding_guide/1

**** so at the end of this road I see 200+240 mm's of raddage on your entire loop for i5-2500K+GTX 680 4GB...:/

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
That Black ice just happens to be what Danger Den has that will fit where I want to put it. They do not offer as many choices as others and the price on those components is very good.

I started with the XSPC 750 RS240 and expanded it from there. I really like the XSPC kits they really come with everything you need minus the coolant. So for as a beginner as far as Water Cooling goes it was the best. At the time I got mine they did not have the kits with the Raystorm blocks out but they do now so I upgraded my block and went with a RX360 rad. Plus they are packing compression fittings as part of the kit now. This http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16071/ex-wat-211/XSPC_Raystorm_EX360_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_D5_Variant_Pump_Included_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c321s1310#blank is basically what I have in my system now just that I added onto mine later. It is really nice and did not have to worry about not getting everything I needed to get it up and running.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

They are recomeded by Danger Den and my digging did not uncover any bad reviews

Lutfij

Titan
high heat dissipation->fast/loud fans->shot out hearing. (the last one was a joke but quiet possible)

courtesy of danger den
High-density louvered copper fin configuration for enhanced heat dissipation
and
Perfect for lower CFM fans.

If you've read the sticky, you'll understand that high cfm doesn't matter in rad situations, its static pressure that's key. The DD rad you've chosen is a thin rad which will mean higher fin spacing meaning the fans would need to be cranked up to dissipate a good amount of heat...mind you, the fans should also be given some thought.

They are recomeded by Danger Den
Advertising/Marketing will drive you to buy a pack of cigies, but is it good for you? No. Leave selling points aside and you'll find real world users say that their setups are like an nvidia leaf-blower

*upto you really as I'm not here to hold hands, only here to help you learn.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_12.html
They show total system power consumption at 163W with a 2500k @ 4.7ghz. That's including an idle 6970, the mobo, and the other little things. (May also be including the PSU's waste, not sure what side of the PSU "measured after the power supply" means). If this website is right than an i5 at 4.5ghz shouldn't use more than about 120W on it's own (which matches my origional 20% overhead figure).

Anyone have a link to someone testing an oced 2500k for power draw with more info (like exact voltages and whatnot)?

Yada, Yada, Yada!

And your load temperatures with a 2500K OCd to 5ghz and GPU in the same loop are what?

Here's a 2500K overclocked to 5ghz, on 1.464v, max core temp was 58c, this was done with the CPU cooled alone on a chilled water loop using about 13c water temperature approximately 10c below ambient.

My post was regarding heat dissipation, which you claim as very excessive advice, yet you not the first time reference your load temperatures?

My point is, if it takes chilled water on the CPU alone to get results with the 2500K that are still within the throttling range, and you say yours works fine, that's probably a serious illusion on your part, with radiator cooling your load temperatures have to be excessive with CPU and GPU on no more radiator than you claim you're running?

So what exactly are your load temperatures at 5ghz?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275185-29-exploring-ambient-water-cooling

I've done a lot of experimentation regarding multiple cooling possibilities all the facts are in this thread.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Running prime (on low priority) and furmark my cpu temps stay under ~80C. During normal use (gaming), they sit in the sixties. I'll post some screens when my mobo gets back from it's RMA. When stress testing, I only run prime or furmark so the 80C figure isn't common.

Anyway, my temps are hotter than most people WCing (and louder) and I'm not recommending anyone imitate me. What I meant by excessive was
from my 2500K and 580GTX experience you need 2 480 dual pass radiators
I realize now that you did say "IMO" so I apologize if I sounded offensive, I was just questioning the need for dual 480 rads for an i5 + single gpu loop. I see too many people wasting money when all they want is a safe minimum (WC loops, PSUs, Mobos and RAM are all heavily subject to this).

Lutfij

Titan
OCN members like to waste aka overkill. Here on Tom's its more of a custom tailored suit feedback offering.

He did say "my" setup. Having headroom capable of more waterblock addition doesn't hurt anything/anyone rather its easier on your wallet on the long run.

No such thing as waste or overkill when it comes to radspace hehe, only improvements in cooling and lower noise,
I'm in the same schoo of thoughtl as Ryan and although you technically only 'Need' a 360, I would never put the bare minimum on a loop, your fans have to be on max and its pushing the limits all the time, I'd rather throw a couple of 480's on and have the loop working at say 35% of capability to achieve better temps and noise than have a smaller loop running flat out
Moto