Weird hard freeze issues - Halp

Metsuna

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys I've been having a problem where when playing some intensive games my computer would just hard freeze and I would have to totally reboot it. This happens when I have it overclocked @4.0ghz.

My system was totally stable for the longest time and after a year or so has it started to do this. When I drop back to stock or lower clocks the problem seems to go away. I'm pretty sure it's not the voltage cause when I increase the voltage it doesn't seem to help either @4.0ghz.

My system:
I7 930 @4.0ghz
460 SLI Overclocked
6GB XMS3 RAM @ 1600
Asus XONAR DX Sound Card
Corsair TX750W PSU

I think it has to do with my PSU not being able to provide enough clean power @ higher clocks.

EDIT 1: After using it on 3.5ghz with a voltage of 1.23 it froze again requiring me to go back to stock. I am really stumped. Cause I don't think it's the vcore. My computer use to be able to do 4.0ghz really well. Don't know what happened.

EDIT 2: Okay stock froze, so it might not be the cpu clock so I put it back to to 4.0ghz and put my 460 SLI back to stock clocks to see what happens.

Metsuna

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Okay so after a bit more tests here's what is happening

@4.0Ghz and 1.24V core: Computer BSODS with BSOD error 0x00000124 "The system has encountered an uncorrectable hardware error"

@Stock Ghz and Overclocked SLI: Computer hangs during gaming

@Stock Ghz and Stock SLI: Seems to be stable

I have a feeeeling its the PSU but shouldn't the 750W be enough? I wouldn't think it would give out that easily. I feel that there might be something else going funky. But i'm going to see if everything at stock fixes it.

Any ideas?

Metsuna

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Okay I took my computer for a dusting (made sure to dust the hell out of the PSU).

Made sure everything was on tight (found that the motherboard main power cord was a bit loose on the motherboard).

Bumped the Core voltage and QPI to 1.25V (read somewhere that if QPI was too low it could cause the BSOD above)

So now @ 4.0ghz with 1.25V vcore + qpi, and it seems things are stable again. Thanks to myself for being awesome.

chavez1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.