Toshiba 1605 CDS wont boot up

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 11:22:42 PM

Laptop frooze and now wont boot. It gets to the toshiba screen and
wont go any further. I tried ESC and F2 when starting up, it says
entering setup and wont go any further. It also beeps 3times if I just
let it try to boot on its own or if im trying to get it into setup or
safe mode. I have tried to put in the startup CD and diskette, but
this doesnt work either. Any ideas??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 10:28:20 AM

Ron B wrote:
> Laptop frooze and now wont boot. It gets to the toshiba screen and
> wont go any further. I tried ESC and F2 when starting up, it says
> entering setup and wont go any further. It also beeps 3times if I just
> let it try to boot on its own or if im trying to get it into setup or
> safe mode. I have tried to put in the startup CD and diskette, but
> this doesnt work either. Any ideas??

Have you recently made any video adjustments, such as updating the video
driver or trying to install something new?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 6:43:20 PM

Sounds like something is seriously wrong. This is probably a
motherboard issue, but if you have any add-on memory installed, try
removing it. If there are two memory modules + motherboard memory, try
removing both. If two modules and no mb memory, try removing one, if
that doesn't work, remove the other one, if that doesn't work, swap the
two modules, then try removing each (one at a time) again.

Ron B wrote:

> Laptop frooze and now wont boot. It gets to the toshiba screen and
> wont go any further. I tried ESC and F2 when starting up, it says
> entering setup and wont go any further. It also beeps 3times if I just
> let it try to boot on its own or if im trying to get it into setup or
> safe mode. I have tried to put in the startup CD and diskette, but
> this doesnt work either. Any ideas??
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 7:22:28 PM

"LittleMac" <NOSPAM@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<2nmo3qF2c9glU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Ron B wrote:
> > Laptop frooze and now wont boot. It gets to the toshiba screen and
> > wont go any further. I tried ESC and F2 when starting up, it says
> > entering setup and wont go any further. It also beeps 3times if I just
> > let it try to boot on its own or if im trying to get it into setup or
> > safe mode. I have tried to put in the startup CD and diskette, but
> > this doesnt work either. Any ideas??
>
> Have you recently made any video adjustments, such as updating the video
> driver or trying to install something new?

No, no adjustment have been made nor have I tried installing anything
new. I heard something about the thing beeping 3 times means it is the
bios. Any truth to this?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 8:06:48 PM

> I have a 1625CDT(pretty much the same as the 1605) that did that
very thing. I removed the extra memory, tried all kinds of different
boot disk and finially in desperation removed power from the rear and
removed the battery. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so, plugged it back
in and it had reset itself. Don't know if it was just a fluke but
it's been playing for 6 months without a problem. Worth a try.
> ;-p

==============
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2004 11:12:43 PM

"Ron B" typed:

> No, no adjustment have been made nor have I tried installing
> anything new. I heard something about the thing beeping 3 times
> means it is the bios. Any truth to this?

You hear three beeps whenever some setting is amiss in the BIOS. If
I disable, for example, any one of the four PCI IRQ settings in the
BIOS, I hear three beeps followed by an error message. The screen
stays there, and I can either reboot and get the same error, or press
F1 to get into BIOS setup and rectify the problem.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
!