Removiing Boot Manager

October 21, 2004 2:06:46 AM

I have installed a FreeBSD (Unix) boot manager in WinXP in order to boot
Unix in a partition on my second hard drive.

I now want to get rid of the boot manager. Does anybody know how to do this?
I know there is a KB article about how to get rid of the LILO (Linux) boot
manager but that does not seem appropriate for the FreeBSD. I know that
reinstalling WinXP will get rid of it, but that seems rather a drastic step
for what should be a simple problem (if you knew how to do it).

More about : removiing boot manager

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 4:25:17 AM

Gordon, if the FreeBSD Boot Manager was installed in the MBR then you could
use a Win98 boot disk which you can get
here www.bootdisk.com and when at the A: prompt type fdisk /mbr
A:\fdisk /mbr should be a space between k & /
Press Enter and that should clear the mbr. You can then load the WinXP CD
and from the Recovery Console at the prompt
type Bootcfg /rebuild For more info on the Recovery Console check here.
This is the way I had to do it when I wanted to
remove the Grub bootloader.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

!