Sign in with
Your question

Coolermaster V8 CM Scout Compatibility

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2010 2:23:04 AM

Hello all, I'm thinking of updating my cooler and case from a Zalman CNPS9500 to a Coolermaster V8 and was wondering if anyone knows if it will fit in a CM Scout Case

Thanx

System Specs:

MSI K9A2VM-FD 780V Socket AM2+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual Core AM2 1MB 3.1GHz
Coolermaster 700W Power Supply
4 GB Geil RAM DDR2 800
XFX ATI 5770
Creative X FI Xtreme Gamer
Soprano Thermal take Case
Zalman CNPS9500
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 6:21:45 AM

CM V8's are 161mm tall, but I can't find any info on how much clearance a Scout has. It's overall dimensions are very similar to my original CM-690 case, which has 176.7mm clearance w/o the side fan installed. Fortunately for the Scout, it's side-panel bulges to accommodate it's side fans so they can be used with tall coolers simultaneously.

I think it would be wise to ask Cooler Master directly for the CPU cooler height restriction. You can email them at techsupport@coolermaster.com or use their Live Help to talk to a tech support agent on Monday.
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 4:11:07 PM

I have the Scout with a V8 in it. You shouldn't have any clearance issues unless you want to use a top side panel fan. Even with the "bulge" mentioned, the V8 with a top side panel mounted fan won't fit.
Related resources
April 10, 2010 4:29:10 PM

obsolete99 said:
I have the Scout with a V8 in it. You shouldn't have any clearance issues unless you want to use a top side panel fan. Even with the "bulge" mentioned, the V8 with a top side panel mounted fan won't fit.

Oh cheers thnx. I think the V8 should be able 2 do without the top side fan with plenty of cooling... I hope. How's it working out for you? What are your temperatures like?
a b ) Power supply
April 10, 2010 5:47:14 PM

I've had it for about a month and, all in all, I'm pretty happy with it. The V8 is on an Athlon II X3 440 (stock) with the V8 fan running at minimum. In my experience, increasing the fan speed only decreases temps 1-2°c and makes the fan a bit more audible. The Scout is using all the stock fans (140mm intake, 140mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust).

While I don't remember exact numbers, the CPU temps with the stock HSF were about 5-6°c higher. Using the program Everest, current temps are:

Idle
CPU - 23°c, Cores #1-3 ~12°c
Load
CPU - 37°c, Cores #1-3 ~22°c
March 18, 2012 5:44:32 PM

hi guys, i bought a cm storm scout case and a cm v8 cpu cooler. I havn't installed them yet coz im still waiting for the release of my gpu, and i was thinking of putting two 120mm case fan to the window panel. do you think it will fit with the cm v8?
!