Sign in with
Your question

Which hard drive

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2010 3:14:42 AM

This may not be the right place to ask but I am looking at purchasing a Hitachi 500gb drive - the prices have really come down of late on hard drives.

Is Hitachi a good drive or would you recommend another brand. I have seen some not so good comments about WD drives and I had one fail after 8 months so am not very high on WD.

The Hitachi comes with backup software but can one also image a drive with this software? I am running Win 7 and believe I can both backup and image a drive with it but am not clear if one can then restore to a smaller drive than the one used for the image.

Tks for the info - jb

More about : hard drive

April 10, 2010 3:33:31 AM

I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB cache - one of the fastest drives available (Also comes in 500GB and 250GB). As for the software that comes with Hitachi Deskstars... Idk, sorry.
m
l
April 10, 2010 9:20:02 PM

HITACHI drives are excellent in quality.. I started my PC journey and bought my first hard drive which happened to be a HITACHI 250 GB SATA 7200 RPM.. It is well past warranty period now but still going strong ( i happen to own only one drive, never needed to buy another drive ).. If i need to get a new hard drive and don't find a HITACHI model, i might go for a SEAGATE 7200.12 500 GB.. My friend has bought one and i was impressed by its speed.. As a note, few of my friends had bought WD hard drives courtesy of some nice reviews in local magazines and the net but they've reported failures or some other problems very much.. So i too have a sort of bad experience (indirectly of course ) towards WD drives..
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2010 11:15:43 PM

Western Digital is considered by most the best hard drive brand, which is why they have the 5 year warranties, however, they have not upgrade to the single 500GB platters except the 2TB. I would recommend the Samsung Spinpoint 500GB or 1TB (I have the 1TB and it rivils my VRaptor in speeds - See Below) or the Seagate 7200.12 500 or 1TB. These are the fastest set of standard hard drives out, outside of SSD's.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB vs WD Velicoraptor 300GB:

versus

m
l
April 10, 2010 11:25:08 PM

Here's some reliability data from storagereview.com which ranks HD's for reliability based upon a database of reported failures.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/survey/survey_result_t...

A percentile score of 70 means according to filtered and analyzed results from readers, the given drive was more reliable than 70% of the other drives reviewed by StorageReview.com.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/survey/survey_result_t...

Seagate's average percentile ranking for all drives in the storagereview.com reliability survey is 61.16 %.

WD's is 51.71 %

Samsung's is 53.42 %

Hitachi / IBM's is 35.67 %

Check out the performance charts on THG and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The 2 TB WD Black and XT from Seagate are good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

Look at the tests that reflect your usage and choose accordingly.
m
l
April 11, 2010 3:10:13 AM

Tks, all - I appreciate it. Strange that WD is rated high due to all the bad comments on them of late.

Does anyone have an answer as to the backup/image question - that is what I want this new drive for and looking at 2.5 500 mb externals as a way to go.

I had asked a question about using Win 7 for both backup and imaging but was not clear about the answer - seems some drives will not restore an image to a smaller drive or something.

Again, tks - jb
m
l
!