Sign in with
Your question

Rate my setup! and suggestions for upgrades

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2010 9:18:09 PM

Hi, just got registered at the board, so don't go nuts if I put the topic in the wrong corner, allright? :) 

Anyhow, I'd like to get comments on my setup and if there's anything I should change or replace for better performance. Here we go:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 A stepping E0. 3,0Ghz @ 3,6Ghz
MOBO: Asus striker extreme socket 775
GPU: 2 x XFX geforce 260 GTX 896Mb
RAM: 4 x 2GB Pc6400 800Mhz
PSU: Cougar power 700W 80+Bronze (enough for this setup? regarding 2 x hungry gfx:s)
HDD:S 2 x WD black 500Gb @ raid0 for OS, programs and games + 2 x 1,5TB Seagate baracuda @ raid0 for movies, photos and other stuff
SOUND: Creative X-fi extreme
CASE: NZXT Lexa with 3 x 120mm back, front and side, 1 x 80mm top, 1 x 80mm bottom
CPU COOLING: Scythe Katana III with fan pull through towards rear fan.

Rated FSB: 1600 (400)
Multiplier: 9
Mem timing: 1:1
Vcore: 1,25V
RamV. 2V

I think that's about it, any Bottlenecks? (cpu maybe, but that won't be a problem untill more than 2 cores are used in games as standard I think).

I Got 37*c @ idle, 54 @ full load, should get better with another cooling solution. Water is not an option right now, perhaps Corsair H50 in case..

Got something about 15K in 3Dmark before the raid0 config and with single GTX 260.. if I don't misremember.

Best regards /// Peter
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 9:27:14 PM

That's a fine setup for anything out there today. The CPU is probably a little bit behind the video cards, but you can always try overclocking and get some extra performance for free. The RAM is a little on the older side as well but shouldn't be causing you any problems.

Basically, you're fine as-is and I wouldn't spend any money upgrading that until 12-18 months from now when i9 chips are out and DX11 is becoming more prevalent.

edit: also, I just noticed you apparently ARE overclocking it already, so nevermind that part. You're doing well.
February 3, 2010 3:03:46 AM

Looks like a pretty well balanced setup to me. Just needs a SSD now, eh. :) 
Related resources
February 3, 2010 5:09:41 AM

Thanks for the replys! Yeay, sounds good. No there's really not much left to upgrade. Think I'd rather get a new mobo, cpu and ram then use the rest with it and as you say Lucius, get a set of SSD:s in raid0 :D 

Could you get me some clues about the total value?

Oh, about the ram..! The mobo:s manual says two things. First is that it's able to handle memory sticks up to DDR2 800Mhz (have 8Gb) then after that it says it can handle 1200Mhz SLI ready memory. I thought that SLI ready was only a marketing thing..? Too bad I haven't got any 1200Mhz to try.
February 3, 2010 10:41:40 AM

No point in faster RAM since you have it 1:1 with your FSB as it is. It has been proven 1000 times that there's immeasurable gains from RAM that exceeds the speed of the FSB.

Stick with what you got, should last you a couple years. My system recently turned 2 years old and it's still getting the job done :)  Waiting to see how SC2 runs before i decide to upgrade anything.

Running a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 8gb 800mhz RAM, 320gb caviar se, 8800gts 512mb. Have benched it at about 15k in 3dmark06, so she has still got some life in her after all this time.
February 3, 2010 3:59:23 PM

Allright, that's about what I thought, therefor i invested in a larger amount rather than faster. I'd rather wait and get a Mobo that supports DDR3, Sata-III and USB III. Thou the price probably will be quite high for the SSD:s supporting sata-III and the ones with sata-II will get cheaper.. tough decisions up ahead :) 
I'm also looking forward to SC2 and Diablo 3, seemes to take forever... :cry: 

lucuis said:
No point in faster RAM since you have it 1:1 with your FSB as it is. It has been proven 1000 times that there's immeasurable gains from RAM that exceeds the speed of the FSB.

Stick with what you got, should last you a couple years. My system recently turned 2 years old and it's still getting the job done :)  Waiting to see how SC2 runs before i decide to upgrade anything.

Running a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 8gb 800mhz RAM, 320gb caviar se, 8800gts 512mb. Have benched it at about 15k in 3dmark06, so she has still got some life in her after all this time.

!