Sign in with
Your question

How to restore portale external drive back to normal when it reads corrupt

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2012 4:44:11 PM

Hello,
I have a seagate portable external hard drive and when i hook it up to my laptop it readsy corrupted and unreadable...then it asks do you want to format...but i know format would change it back to factory setting right???
Help
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 4:50:36 PM

yes formatting will wipe the hard drive and let you stora data on it
choose the ntfs format if you are planning on moving 4gb+ files onto the external hd
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:53:04 PM

yea formatting the drive will just erace the entire drive. if you are not able to do anything else on it then that may be your only option. if it is not being detected on your laptop then try another computer to see if it picks it up so you can perform a checkdisk or format. if that doesn't work then the only option might be is to find a way to take it apart and install the drive as an internal hard drive so that you can run checkdisk or format
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 5:37:47 PM

:wahoo:  Thank You!
captaincharisma said:
yea formatting the drive will just erace the entire drive. if you are not able to do anything else on it then that may be your only option. if it is not being detected on your laptop then try another computer to see if it picks it up so you can perform a checkdisk or format. if that doesn't work then the only option might be is to find a way to take it apart and install the drive as an internal hard drive so that you can run checkdisk or format

m
l
February 3, 2012 5:38:23 PM

:wahoo:  Thank You!
alvine said:
yes formatting will wipe the hard drive and let you stora data on it
choose the ntfs format if you are planning on moving 4gb+ files onto the external hd

m
l
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 6:59:57 PM

If you have important data on the hard drive, don't give them up easily. Look for recovery options (check out if the drive appears in the Drive Manager, if it does, run a recovery software, before formatting.

If the data is not important, then you can go for the formatting by all means.
m
l
!