Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Physx card with ATI Radeon 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2010 1:21:57 AM

Hello
I have a Radeon 5850 and would like to buy an old PCI Ageia Physx card to run games as Batman and Mass Effect 2 with the extra effects.

I've heard it can be done

Anybody playing those titles with ATI?

I have Windows 7 64-bit

the card is $60, I can buy it next week
January 27, 2010 1:34:51 AM

Nvidia stopped supporting the old Ageia cards. You can use hacked drivers to use an Nvidia card for physx but I'm not sure about the Ageia cards.
I don't believe Mass Effect has GPU accelerated Physx and it will not add anything to the game FYI.
January 27, 2010 3:24:36 AM

^ Agreed. Unfortunately, Nvidia is being a bunch of dorks and locked down their driver to disable when it detects the presents of a non Nvidia card. Here is a link that shows you the mod to run Nvidia as physx with an ATI card. This is your best bet.

http://physxinfo.com/news/427/modded-geforce-drivers-un...
Related resources
January 27, 2010 6:10:28 AM

I've already tried running my 5870 & my old 260 with the hacked drivers and it does work, but its not worth the hastle. Theres too much conflict between drivers and its unstable....... Plus theres a problem with over heating, my 5870 went from 37 idle to 50 after all the hassle of setting both cards up!
January 27, 2010 10:02:48 AM

marney_5 said:
I've already tried running my 5870 & my old 260 with the hacked drivers and it does work, but its not worth the hastle. Theres too much conflict between drivers and its unstable....... Plus theres a problem with over heating, my 5870 went from 37 idle to 50 after all the hassle of setting both cards up!

Ohhh I know the hassle of running two cards. But you don't need a 260 for physics. He could always just get a lower end Nvidia card, like a GTS250. But still it will generate heat that will raise to the card above.
January 28, 2010 8:52:37 AM

Well, I had GTX 295 SLI and it burned my motherboard and my Soundblaster card

I was asking, can I buy a PCI (not PCI express), Ageia card?

Will games like Batman and Mass Effect 2 require an updated Physx driver or will the old Physx driver (or a hacked driver) do the trick?
September 1, 2010 6:22:44 PM

Old thread. I've been wondering the same thing. I've found an old Ageia card, and wondering if I can stick in in my gaming rig to get Physx to run in Mirrors Edge and other games...
I'm wondering if anything has changed in the course of the year making drivers more stable etc.
September 1, 2010 7:02:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!