Dark Screen - Toshiba Satellite

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 8, 2004 8:56:17 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 notebook computer, running Windows XP. The
problem is that the screen suddenly turns dark. You can still see the
desktop a little, and restarting the computer clears the problem for a
while. However, it is getting worse, so that after Windows starts,
everything turns dark again. I think the problem is the LCD backlight
turning off (a faulty power-saving feature), but this happens even if the
battery is fully charged. Is there anything that could be done to fix this?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 8:56:18 AM

Jan wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 notebook computer, running Windows XP. The
> problem is that the screen suddenly turns dark. You can still see the
> desktop a little, and restarting the computer clears the problem for a
> while. However, it is getting worse, so that after Windows starts,
> everything turns dark again. I think the problem is the LCD backlight
> turning off (a faulty power-saving feature), but this happens even if the
> battery is fully charged. Is there anything that could be done to fix this?

Try updating your video driver.

Sometimes this works: when the screen goes dark, press FN-F5, wait a few
secs, do it again, wait a few secs. If this is going to work, the
screen will flash on and off and then on again.

Check the Toshiba power settings.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2004 6:29:30 PM

Does it happen on AC power?

Does it happen if you boot to an MS-DOS prompt (not running Windows) and
just sit there?

This could be inverter, motherboard, software. But it's probably not
the lamps.