Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade.

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2010 11:28:36 PM

Hey guys, i'm having a nice rig but times goes and it start to be a little slow.

I'm going to show you my rig:
Antec 900 case.
Enermax 500W
Asus P5Q motherboard
XFX GTX 260 black edition
4 gig or ram 3 different brands( to change)
Intel Q6600 2.6GHZ (OC) G0 step.

So why i want to upgrade?

New 40'' screen, full HD and Bad company 2.

I am a fan of Nvidia, but not completely close to ATI, proof needed :ange: 

I look at the i5 series, the 750, looks great.

If i change something to my rig, i can sell the old parts so no cash problem.

Sorry for my grammar, quebec inside lol.

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2010 12:01:13 AM

Can you provide a budget for your upgrade?? It is hard to make recommendations without knowing what we have to work with.

Quick suggestions....
i5 750
ASUS or Gigabyte P55 MOBO
DDR3 1333 or 1600 Cas7 (G.Skill, Corsair or OCZ)
ATI 5850 (XFX or Sapphire) - Read any benchmarks, ATI 58xx cards are beating any Nvidia cards (outside 295, but not worth the cost). If you Nvidia, you will have to wait for March (tentative release month but nothing firm)
m
l
February 3, 2010 12:02:52 AM

tecmo34 said:
Can you provide a budget for your upgrade?? It is hard to make recommendations without knowing what we have to work. Quick suggestions....

i5 750
ASUS or Gigabyte P55 MOBO
DDR3 1333 or 1600 Cas7 (G.Skill, Corsair or OCZ)
ATI 5850 (XFX or Sapphire) - Read any benchmarks, ATI 58xx cards are beating any Nvidia cards (outside 295, but not worth the cost). If you Nvidia, you will have to wait for March (tentative release month but nothing firm)

i can sell the motherboard for 100 box, the card 250, core 150= 500 box, maybe 700 max.

What is the new platform they announce? I cant find...

Maybe take a SLI-ready motherboard? For the future?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

February 3, 2010 12:47:19 AM

Too many times in the past I have upgraded my system only to realize that if I would have waited a few months I could have built a much better system for the same $
Looking at your system it appears that you are like me and like to keep up with the latest technology I have nearly an identical setup as you, I also have the antec 900 case Asus Mobo, 800w PS, 4 gigs, GTX 260, Q6600 quad OC'ed.

I have decided on the i5, ASUS mobo, ddr3 1600 but I am waiting because.....

#1 At this time I am afraid that if I upgrade to a new high end ATi card right now in 2 months when NVIDIA comes out with the 400 series I am not going to be happy.

#2 reason is price wars will definitely drive prices down.

#3 that new card could drop low on the performance per $ whether it be ATi or NVIDIA.

#4 Intel and AMD are still dancing around with pricing and positioning so there still can be some $ saved.

I myself have been waiting for months to upgrade and will wait until all the cards (pun intended) are on the table to make a decision on how to spend my $ instead of jumping the gun and regretting it later.
February 3, 2010 1:05:25 AM

Tremec said:
Too many times in the past I have upgraded my system only to realize that if I would have waited a few months I could have built a much better system for the same $
Looking at your system it appears that you are like me and like to keep up with the latest technology I have nearly an identical setup as you, I also have the antec 900 case Asus Mobo, 800w PS, 4 gigs, GTX 260, Q6600 quad OC'ed.

I have decided on the i5, ASUS mobo, ddr3 1600 but I am waiting because.....

#1 At this time I am afraid that if I upgrade to a new high end ATi card right now in 2 months when NVIDIA comes out with the 400 series I am not going to be happy.

#2 reason is price wars will definitely drive prices down.

#3 that new card could drop low on the performance per $ whether it be ATi or NVIDIA.

#4 Intel and AMD are still dancing around with pricing and positioning so there still can be some $ saved.

I myself have been waiting for months to upgrade and will wait until all the cards (pun intended) are on the table to make a decision on how to spend my $ instead of jumping the gun and regretting it later.

I kinda agree with this but is there new cores coming? Or the i5 750 is a good choice at the moment? Same things to memory and MOBO
m
l
February 9, 2010 10:56:22 PM

Best answer selected by Feuer-frei.
m
l
!