Sign in with
Your question
Closed

VGA screw

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2010 1:51:02 AM

Here's a strange question. I need to secure a VGA cable to a PC so that it can't be easily stolen. A typical HD15 or VGA cable has two screws on each end that you can screw into the video card using your fingers. What I want to do is replace them with a screw, ideally with a Torx or similar head. My problem is figuring out what size screw to order. The local hardware stores didn't have any that were small enough. I think it needs to be 10mm long and it's a coarse thread.

Thanks for any help you could provide!

More about : vga screw

a c 147 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 3:20:06 AM

You are probably best off getting a VGA cable that uses small screw instead of the plastic thumb screws. Granted you can screw the plastic thumb screw down just like a screw, but the small metal ones would require a tool. Look at the link to see what I mean.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just curious, why do you need this. I'm just nosey. Who steals vga cables?
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 9:03:51 AM

Yeah... That thief must be a gamer... :lol: 
Score
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 10:00:37 AM

I wonder if this is for a Kiosk or something. I hope whatever is on both ends of the cable have security cables as well. I don't think a VGA cable is a thiefs first choice.
Score
January 27, 2010 11:32:14 AM

Students who live in residence halls! They love to steal anything! It's actually for a VGA cable connected to an HDTV in a lobby. I need one end to be regular so they can secure it to their laptop and the other to be secured as much as possible. Thanks for your help!
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 12:36:34 PM

Dang college kids. haha
Score
September 13, 2011 2:18:35 PM

ihateduke said:
I need to secure a VGA cable to a PC so that it can't be easily stolen.

I'm having the same exact issue. I don't know if students/faculty are "borrowing" the vga cables and "forgetting" to return them or what, but I need to secure one end better. Did you ever find anything that worked for you?
Score
September 13, 2011 8:12:20 PM

The cable at newegg looks nice, but it would be nice if there were just screws that could be purchased somewhere to replace the existing thumb screws - would be a much cheaper option for those of us who need to secure 10-20 existing cables.

Found this on amazon... but what are those screws!?
http://www.amazon.com/HD15-Serial-Metal-Thumb-Screws/dp/B000I21YW8
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 9:26:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!