Solved

D510MO motherboard doesn't like Kingston KVR800d2/2GR RAM?

I bought an Intel D510MO motherboard that won't seem to boot. The small power light on the motherboard itself is on, as is the power light on the case. But I get no video signal at all (so no BIOS POST, etc.), and the case fans don't spin up either.

Is it possible that my RAM is the problem? I'm using a 2GB stick of Kingston KVR800D2/2GR (DDR2, 800MHz, unbuffered, non-ECC, can't tell about SPD support). I don't have any other suitable RAM to test with.

If not that, any other ideas what the problem might be?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about d510mo motherboard doesn kingston kvr800d2
  1. Intel's RAM specs for your board are here. Same specs, so your RAM should work, try using another DIMM socket.
  2. Quote:
    Intel's RAM specs for your board are here. Same specs, so your RAM should work, try using another DIMM socket.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've tried both DIMM sockets with the same result. For the heck of it, I also called Kingston and they said the RAM should work fine, so I guess that's not the issue.

Darn thing still won't boot, though. Other ideas?
  3. Best answer
    -- I would re-check the power leads from the PSU to the motherboard (CPU 4 or 8-pin and the 20/24-pin;
    -- components: video card, HDDs, DVD drives, and any other accessories you have. -- I would also verify the Front Panel connectors for the PWR_LED, Reset, SPKR, etc. re-check any to make sure the polarity is correct. On the FP pins white or black wires are ground (-), colored wires are powered (+).
  4. Forgot to add: If it still does not boot, try with only one stick of RAM. And if it still does not boot try the other stick - you could have a bad stick.
  5. Thanks very much for the suggestions! I tried swapping to a third (!) power supply, and the motherboard boots with this one. For the record, the RAM is fine.

Thanks again for the help!
  6. You're welcome. Wow!
    2 bad PSUs! That is so unusual.
  7. It might be the 20-pin -> 24-pin adapter cable I was using -- maybe that cable is bad and the PSUs were fine.
  8. Best answer selected by marsroverdriver.
  9. marsroverdriver said:
    I bought an Intel D510MO motherboard that won't seem to boot. The small power light on the motherboard itself is on, as is the power light on the case. But I get no video signal at all (so no BIOS POST, etc.), and the case fans don't spin up either.

Is it possible that my RAM is the problem? I'm using a 2GB stick of Kingston KVR800D2/2GR (DDR2, 800MHz, unbuffered, non-ECC, can't tell about SPD support). I don't have any other suitable RAM to test with.

If not that, any other ideas what the problem might be?

I just got one from NewEgg ($65 MB with CPU) and found that it refused to post. No VGA output either. I read other posts that said RAM was likely so I swapped with RAM that I had in another machine and it booted OK.

The RAM that wouldn't work was a 1GB stick of Samsung memory, stamped 2Rx8 PC2-4200U-444-12-E3 (M378T2953EZ3-CD5).

The memory that I found that worked was Crucial 1GB stick 128Mx64DDR2 PC5 PC5300 Speed 667MHZ CL=5 NON-ECC Unbuffered (CT2KIT12864AA667).

Loaded WHS Vail RC0, build 7600, from USB stick. Install took a long time to complete but had no issues with it loading. After it loaded, I found that it wouldn't power save due to the standard VGA driver. I downloaded the Vista 64 bit driver install, GFX_Vista64_15.12.50.4.64.2214_PV_INtel.exe, and ran it using compatiblity mode along with run as admin. After reboot, I set the power saver timeout to 2 minutes. Worked like a charm. However, it didn't return from sleep mode. I then changed the device driver power setting for the PS2 keyboard to wake from sleep and now it works fine. WHS reports the video driver as Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.

I still have the audio driver showing not working. I just now downloaded the Vista 64 bit drivers, Realtek High Defination Audio Driver 6.0.1.5=6201 x64 Edition, and ran the installation as is without any options. It required a reboot and afterwards, the audio speaker still showed a red x in the icon tray. I then went to the device driver and did an unistall and let the did a scan. It found it but still red icon. I did another uninstall and then did another hardware scan and it found it this time. Maybe, I didn't need to download and install the driver from the Intel website but just needed to try uninstalling and installing several times. Plugged in speaker to verify its working and now have sounds.

Hope that helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets RAM Motherboards