Sign in with
Your question

Just had my old (dead) drive replaced with NEC DVD RW 3550A. I don\'t care about

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2012 6:10:16 PM

Recently had to replace my CD/DVD drive; replaced with NEC DVD RW 3550A. I don't care about DVDs, but I can't burn music CDs. It will read & rip audio CDs, but when I try to burn a copy to disc it doesn't recognize the CD. I get an error msg telling me "no disc is present, pls insert blank CD". So why will it read but not rip?
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 6:55:57 PM

what type of discs are you using? Are you sure it is a blank disc? What software are you using to burn with?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 6:57:25 PM

Without knowing, It may be the type of cd's you have may not be compatable for burning. No experience with NEC drives spcifically.
m
l
February 3, 2012 7:08:23 PM

ty both for replies. I am using Memorex CDs; running XP. A friend also suggested that the brand of CD may not be compatible, but I also can't seem to find any place to check out compatibility.

Any and all/further input is appreciated.

beth (aka crankylady)
m
l
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 9:50:55 PM

Please tell me exactly what type they are (ie. CD-R, CD-RW or?). What software are you using to burn with (Nero, Ashampoo, Windows Media Player or ?).
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:03:03 PM

Dogsnake said:
Please tell me exactly what type they are (ie. CD-R, CD-RW or?). What software are you using to burn with (Nero, Ashampoo, Windows Media Player or ?).

CD-R and using Media Player.
b
m
l
a b G Storage
February 3, 2012 10:30:17 PM

I have looked at the NEC site and the drive should work with cd-r. The latest firmware is version 1.07. Usually this is noted on the label with the model and serial number. It may be on the box label also. If yours does not have this version, you may need to update the firmware as these updates are almost always to expand the types of discs the unit will use. (http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/flashfirmwar...) this link has the firmware download and instructions on how to do it. Go over them a few times if you have never done this before. If after the update it still does not work, I suggest returning it for another brand or a replacement. There are many references on the web to persons having disc reading problems with this drive, though they are usually DVD's that are not read.
m
l
February 3, 2012 11:45:19 PM

Dogsnake said:
I have looked at the NEC site and the drive should work with cd-r. The latest firmware is version 1.07. Usually this is noted on the label with the model and serial number. It may be on the box label also. If yours does not have this version, you may need to update the firmware as these updates are almost always to expand the types of discs the unit will use. (http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/flashfirmwar...) this link has the firmware download and instructions on how to do it. Go over them a few times if you have never done this before. If after the update it still does not work, I suggest returning it for another brand or a replacement. There are many references on the web to persons having disc reading problems with this drive, though they are usually DVD's that are not read.

I'll give it a whirl. I, too, searched the web for any and all NEC sites. I did see one that referred to "firmware" and I didn't know what that meant. I know "hardware" and "software" but am always leery of downloading anything I'm unsure of. I did try downloading from Nero and another site that promised "driver" help to no avail.

I'm going to give it a try; I'll let you know how it turns out. Again: thanks for your help.

Beth
m
l
February 4, 2012 12:33:57 AM

Dogsnake said:

I'd return it if I could, but a friend of mine (works in IT at a local corp.) plundered & pillaged from unused computers and installed for free. So no return policy. Anyhow, went to the link and followed the instructions; up to a point. Mine is a "master" (I feel so powerful) but when I get to step #3 it tells me to disable the "Slave". Except I don't know/can't tell which one it is. Here are the choices: (I thought I'd just drop a "print screen" image here, but it won't let me, so....)

Under "DVD/CD-ROM drive, the only thing listed is the NEC DVD RW that I'm having the problem with. But, if I expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I get:
- Primary IDE Channel
- Primary IDE Channel
- Secondary IDE Channel
- Secondary IDE Channel
- Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
- VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

According to the download instructions, I need to disable the "slave" drive before installation. Any ideas?

And, could I ask you one more question, pretty please? You seem fairly knowledgeable about computers and God knows I'm not getting help from anyone else.

About a week ago I made the mistake of opening an email (very cleverly disguised, b/c I don't open much of anything) and ended up with a nasty virus that shut down my entire system. So I took it in to my "guy" who, to the tune of $116, removed the virus. However, since then I've had numerous, multiple, cascading problems, i.e. my printer now prints alternate pages in hieroglyphics; I can't go to "stand by" (Start, Turn Off, Stand By); it just shuts down; etc. My "guy" doesn't give me the courtesy of answering my emails, so my question is: If I do a "System Restore" to a couple weeks ago would it "restore" the virus? Or would it just take me back to a time when my computer was functioning properly? (Note: unfortunately, I would still have these same probs with burning CDs but it could possibly cure a number of other ills!)

BTW: You're a saint. I really appreciate your help and will add you to my Christmas card list! :) 

Beth

m
l
a c 184 G Storage
February 4, 2012 1:33:06 AM

Before you set your new drive's master/slave jumper, check the setting on the drive that's already in your system to see whether it's set to "cable select" (CSEL or CS). With cable select, the ATA ribbon-cable connector determines whether the drive operates as master or slave. This makes it possible to install and rearrange drives without having to change master/slave settings, but there's a catch: You have to set the jumper on both drives on the channel to CSEL for cable select to work, and the ribbon cable must support CSEL. You may need to check your PC's documentation to determine if its cables support cable select.

The other, more reliable, alternative is to set one drive's jumper to master and the other's to slave. You'll have to remove the existing drive to check, and possibly change, its jumper setting, but the master/slave arrangement is a foolproof approach.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P74628/en...

Look here ^

EIDE Master/Slave Select Connector # 3
m
l
a b G Storage
February 4, 2012 3:58:41 AM

New cd drives start at about $15 new. (http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...). If someone charged you $116 to repair your system I would expect them to return your calls. Perhaps he is not your guy after all. Yes you can try a system restore to a point before you got infected and see if things improve. Not knowing what infection you had/have and not knowing what the guy did make it impossible to recommend anything in that regard. If your system is really buggy and making it hard to use, perhaps you need to find a reliable shop and talk to them about a clean installation of windows. You would need to identify what things on the system you want to keep (address book, music, documents,pictures and the such). Back to the drive, since it was used it may be defective.
m
l
February 16, 2012 12:19:48 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Before you set your new drive's master/slave jumper, check the setting on the drive that's already in your system to see whether it's set to "cable select" (CSEL or CS). With cable select, the ATA ribbon-cable connector determines whether the drive operates as master or slave. This makes it possible to install and rearrange drives without having to change master/slave settings, but there's a catch: You have to set the jumper on both drives on the channel to CSEL for cable select to work, and the ribbon cable must support CSEL. You may need to check your PC's documentation to determine if its cables support cable select.

The other, more reliable, alternative is to set one drive's jumper to master and the other's to slave. You'll have to remove the existing drive to check, and possibly change, its jumper setting, but the master/slave arrangement is a foolproof approach.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P74628/en...

Look here ^

EIDE Master/Slave Select Connector # 3

:o  Whoa! WAAAY over my head. I did print out this response and will try it, but is there anyway you can boil it down to "normal stupid person" level?

Beth
m
l
February 16, 2012 12:21:23 AM

I'm thinking I'll just donate my Memorex CDs to charity and buy another brand.
b
m
l
March 1, 2012 2:14:09 AM

Don"t give up .
m
l
!