Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

5970 vs GF100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 27, 2010 3:33:04 AM

Hey forum!
Well currently I have a 5870 and I have a x58 gaming computer.
I am planning on buying a 5970 black edition, but then I remembered about the GF100. And also about the fact that it will be released (although with the current yeilds, in small quantities and for a lot of moolah) by the time the 5970 has dropped in price

So overall my question is
Which is a beter buy GF100 (i.e. waiting for it even longer for the card to be actually available)
or the 5970 black edition (after GF100 is released


Thanks guys

More about : 5970 gf100

a c 376 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 3:39:57 AM

Is the performance of the HD5870 really not good enough?
If so why wouldn't you just get another for crossfire? The performance will be better than an HD5970 and almost surely the GF100 cards.
Score
0
January 27, 2010 3:48:24 AM

Its cheaper to buy a 5970 because then if I watercool it would be cheaper plus i sell my 5870 for a good price... it will end up being cheaper.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 3:56:41 AM

Alright. From all the rumors the new Nvidia card might beat the HD5870 but it will be expensive and shouldn't be able to match the HD5970. The heat/power usage of the chip also makes a dual GPU version unlikely any time soon.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 4:55:39 AM

Since neither the clocks, nor the card design for the GF100/GTX3xx are finalized, there's no way to compare the two, come back closer to launch.
Score
0
January 27, 2010 12:21:21 PM

hmm should you buy a horse or a unicorn. though one here.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 12:26:07 PM

roofus said:
hmm should you buy a horse or a unicorn. though one here.


A better comparison:

Behind door no. 1 there is with 100% certainty a horse.
Behind door no. 2 there might be a stallion or a donkey.

Choose :lol: 
Score
0
January 27, 2010 12:29:49 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
A better comparison:

Behind door no. 1 there is with 100% certainty a horse.
Behind door no. 2 there might be a stallion or a donkey.

Choose :lol: 


More like a freaking Peregrine Falcon or a chicken......

Are you a gambling man snowdude? muahahahah
Score
0
January 27, 2010 12:40:07 PM

I have to admit dragon, your analogy is much better than mine hehe
Score
0
January 27, 2010 1:13:58 PM

Oh i heard the "Fermi" BS when i sold one of my 295's. "I would buy it but Fermi will be out next month" mind you this was in OCTOBER. I am certain the gentleman that bought it feels some inner satisfaction for not waiting lol
Score
0
January 27, 2010 1:19:22 PM

*shrug* for some people 6 months meant nothing, because that 6 months of the 5870 would be spent on games that didn't even require a 5870. Heck, for some people... including me, I wont be buying a 5870 or a Fermi til refresh/gen 2 when there's games worth buying it for :p 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 1:24:23 PM

RealityRush said:
*shrug* for some people 6 months meant nothing, because that 6 months of the 5870 would be spent on games that didn't even require a 5870. Heck, for some people... including me, I wont be buying a 5870 or a Fermi til refresh/gen 2 when there's games worth buying it for :p 


I'm itching to buy a 5850. But, I will buy a bigger monitor instead and stretch the 4870 for another year until the new ATI gen comes.
Score
0
January 27, 2010 2:40:35 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
I'm itching to buy a 5850. But, I will buy a bigger monitor instead and stretch the 4870 for another year until the new ATI gen comes.


:p  That's what I did heh....
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2010 3:56:16 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
A better comparison:

Behind door no. 1 there is with 100% certainty a horse.
Behind door no. 2 there might be a stallion or a donkey.

Choose :lol: 


Wow, best description I've seen yet :D 

The opionon of most is that the GF100 will be better then a 5870, but a little worse then the 5890 [it should be again noted, the 5890 is a dual-GPU card, so thats not a bad thing...]. Cost is a guess, with some claiming >$400, while I believe they can afford to see in the $350 range, making it competitive against the 5000 series on price.

We'll see. Either way, id wait to release, if for nothing else then the price drops AMD will issue.
Score
0
January 27, 2010 4:11:05 PM

Quote:
Pricing absolutely is a guess. But based on the fact that the fermi chip is 40% larger than the 5870 (cost more to manufacture), and rumored benchmarks putting it slightly faster than the 5870, there's no way you'd see a GF100 for $350-400.

Try closer to $500+, with $600 being the most realistic.


Between $500 and $600 is the pricings I've seen thrown around the most, I keep saying MSRP at $550 as my guess. If it can get close to matching the 5970, $550 would acually be very good value. If it barely beats a 5870 and is miles from a 5970, it better be worth less than $500 or that'll be brutal value for performance.

If, however unlikely this may seem, it beats a 5970, well, that pretty much means as long as it's less than $700 they'll make a killing on it. If it beats a 5970 and is less than $600... people around the world will probably instantly orgasm and flood the planet with excess fluids......
Score
0
March 5, 2010 3:59:55 PM

current benches do put the gf100 on top of the gpu linup beating the 5970 and the price was commented as, plesently supprising
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 6:31:39 PM

c1c2c3c4c said:
current benches do put the gf100 on top of the gpu linup beating the 5970 and the price was commented as, plesently supprising


No it does not.

The GF100/GTX480 beats the 5870 by 30% in FarCry2, which is an Nvidia favoring game. The benchmarks also show the 5970 is clearly superior to the GF100/GTX480.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279244-33-nvidia-ferm...
Score
0
March 6, 2010 2:19:22 PM

c1c2c3c4c said:
current benches do put the gf100 on top of the gpu linup beating the 5970 and the price was commented as, plesently supprising


A single GPU card will lose to a dual GPU card of the same generation 99.9999999999999% of the time, there's no getting around that. No matter how much power Fermi uses, a single GPU Fermi will never beat a 5970.

On the other hand, ASUS started designing a dual-GPU Fermi card, and I fully expect it to crush anything and everything currently on the market. It ill also probably cost over 9000 babies.
Score
0
March 6, 2010 3:34:45 PM

RealityRush said:
A single GPU card will lose to a dual GPU card of the same generation 99.9999999999999% of the time, there's no getting around that. No matter how much power Fermi uses, a single GPU Fermi will never beat a 5970.

On the other hand, ASUS started designing a dual-GPU Fermi card, and I fully expect it to crush anything and everything currently on the market. It ill also probably cost over 9000 babies.


the gf100 is desighned to take in massive amounts of power the gpu basicly is 2 fermi gpus and i was going off of the benches ive seen which are better. plus nvidia has developed ray-tracing which will make the games look alot better even if for some resion the current benches dont hold up. i will admit that 4-way crossfire dose tend to have a slightly higher yeald than sli but thats simple driver optimization which i should point out that the gf100 is using beta drivers for the benches which should have them lower than the release mods.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 9:51:37 PM

gamerk316 said:
Wow, best description I've seen yet :D 

The opionon of most is that the GF100 will be better then a 5870, but a little worse then the 5890 [it should be again noted, the 5890 is a dual-GPU card, so thats not a bad thing...]. Cost is a guess, with some claiming >$400, while I believe they can afford to see in the $350 range, making it competitive against the 5000 series on price.

We'll see. Either way, id wait to release, if for nothing else then the price drops AMD will issue.


The 5890 is NOT a dual-GPU card, if you take one from history it's probably an OC'ed 5870.

c1c2c3c4c said:
the gf100 is desighned to take in massive amounts of power the gpu basicly is 2 fermi gpus and i was going off of the benches ive seen which are better. plus nvidia has developed ray-tracing which will make the games look alot better even if for some resion the current benches dont hold up. i will admit that 4-way crossfire dose tend to have a slightly higher yeald than sli but thats simple driver optimization which i should point out that the gf100 is using beta drivers for the benches which should have them lower than the release mods.


The GF100 core IS Fermi.
Ray-tracing has been here for 20 years easy, it will not make games look better because the engine does not support it!

You're one of those nVidiots who say PhysX makes sex better aren't you?

Score
0
March 10, 2010 8:27:19 PM

sabot00 said:
The 5890 is NOT a dual-GPU card, if you take one from history it's probably an OC'ed 5870.



The GF100 core IS Fermi.
Ray-tracing has been here for 20 years easy, it will not make games look better because the engine does not support it!

You're one of those nVidiots who say PhysX makes sex better aren't you?


first of all while ray tracing may have been around for 20 years or so realtime ray tracing has only been posible sence 2005 and took up to much gpu power to do large game mods.. secondly a smart driver programer could easly right a program to override the standerd lighting and replace it with raytracing sence both just need a source of light to work mods.. dont need to change.

and finnaly i dont care for physX, and im guessing your a amd fan so ill just let the other comment go.

ps:
amd dosnt have half of nvidias features and is about to get kicked in the but by nvidias new cards. and i know its a fermi based gpu i was talking about the post above it.
Score
0
March 10, 2010 8:32:31 PM

snowdude1492 said:
Hey forum!
Well currently I have a 5870 and I have a x58 gaming computer.
I am planning on buying a 5970 black edition, but then I remembered about the GF100. And also about the fact that it will be released (although with the current yeilds, in small quantities and for a lot of moolah) by the time the 5970 has dropped in price

So overall my question is
Which is a beter buy GF100 (i.e. waiting for it even longer for the card to be actually available)
or the 5970 black edition (after GF100 is released


Thanks guys


I say wait until the card is release to see the results of the GF100 aka 470 and 480 vs the 5970. That would be March 26th
It's always better to wait until you see real results in the video cards. I waited a long time for the 5850 to come out. When the first 4870 card came out and I read that ATI is going to release DirectX11 cards of the 5000 series, I've told myself that if i wait long enough that it would be worth the wait.
Score
0
March 10, 2010 8:38:01 PM

Keiki646 said:
I say wait until the card is release to see the results of the GF100 aka 470 and 480 vs the 5970. That would be March 26th
It's always better to wait until you see real results in the video cards. I waited a long time for the 5850 to come out. When the first 4870 card came out and I read that ATI is going to release DirectX11 cards of the 5000 series, I've told myself that if i wait long enough that it would be worth the wait.


i agree with you that its always better to wait for the official numbers and the gf100 and the 5970 will be close but if the gf100 is close enough the extra features should be worth the wait hopfully the Numbers will hold and the gf100 will be the new leader and get amd back in the R&D insted of the bank
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 8:47:59 PM

Don't open old threads for this crap, there's already enough out there, and this doesn't get around my n00b ban of starting OR REVIVING Fermi threads outside of the main one ! :non: 
Score
0
!