Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD X4 975 Phemon II On M5A97

Last response: in Overclocking
October 12, 2012 10:37:06 PM

Hello,
i am tryinto get a perfornce peak/ stable peformance up to 4.2 Ghz .but for some odd reason it will only go up to 3.8 i have let it auto tune it self but no results any advice on how to get up to 4.2 Ghz
October 12, 2012 11:42:55 PM

take it off of auto tune....
set your BIOS back to defaults and then start over.
leave all power saving features enabled like C1E, QnQ and all others.
simply raise your multiplier to 4.0GHz first (x20) I think your motherboard will show.
that's all for now.
save it like that and then attempt to boot into windows.

4.2GHz especially on that board might take a voltage tweak so first let's see how far the multiplier will take you.

let us know what happens.
also what is your RAM specs.?
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:28:55 AM

(1333 16 gig corsair XMS3 is the ram) as for as the power savings..cant get into that because i changed the logo an now i am stuck with the new change ..dont know really how to get back the default on that also
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 12:35:24 AM

you need to get your manual out and give it a look on defaulting the BIOS back and also clearing CMOS for resetting.

as for the RAM since it's 1333MHz then it's cool, if it was 1600MHz or more I was going to have you set it to specs.
that's all.

is this motherboard just the M5A97 or is it the EVO version.?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#dow...
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:22:38 AM

Just the regular M5A97 ...Is the evo better than this 1 ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 7:40:08 AM

proffet said:
take it off of auto tune....
set your BIOS back to defaults and then start over.
leave all power saving features enabled like C1E, QnQ and all others.
simply raise your multiplier to 4.0GHz first (x20) I think your motherboard will show.
that's all for now.
save it like that and then attempt to boot into windows.

4.2GHz especially on that board might take a voltage tweak so first let's see how far the multiplier will take you.

let us know what happens.
also what is your RAM specs.?

Something as high as 4.2 on these Phenom II's C1E needs to be disabled, 4ghz its hit or miss, but C1E for sure needs to be off, Cool n Quiet is nice when your idling, it will lower the clock to around 800mhz - 1200mhz during low load, This probably wont be an issue, but can cause some stability problems in the voltage area on some boards.

The 965 I OC for a friend could hit 4.1ghz with Cool n Quiet enabled as well as my 1100T at 4.2 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2461122

4.2 is sometimes hard to get on a Phenom II CPU, some times you can get lucky and get 4.5 or so on them, But let me tell ya, these things warm up when the volts get past 1.4v. Best Overall OC would be to raise the CPU-NB no lower then 2500mhz and voltage no higher then 1.3 on the CPU-NB and keep it at 4ghz(This give a really noticeable performance boost on Desktop and on games). I lowered my OC to get my CPU-NB to 2912mhz, Im sitting at 4ghz right now but with a higher CPU-NB. Just make sure you have the cooling for it, like I said, these things get hot after 1.4v. Max temp on these are 62c, Use Prime95 to stress the CPU for a few hours, make sure you don't pass 62c, system will lock up at 70c to prevent it from hurting the CPU.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:59:57 AM

if you can get 4.0 on air then i would be happy. chaulk it up bins or specimens
and disable cool n quiet, overclocking almost by definition is neither cool nor quiet
and windows util are good for a guess, but bios always give the best results
m
l
October 13, 2012 8:04:00 AM

Viking2121 said:
Something as high as 4.2 on these Phenom II's C1E needs to be disabled, 4ghz its hit or miss, but C1E for sure needs to be off, Cool n Quiet is nice when your idling, it will lower the clock to around 800mhz - 1200mhz during low load, This probably wont be an issue, but can cause some stability problems in the voltage area on some boards.

The 965 I OC for a friend could hit 4.1ghz with Cool n Quiet enabled as well as my 1100T at 4.2 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2461122

4.2 is sometimes hard to get on a Phenom II CPU, some times you can get lucky and get 4.5 or so on them, But let me tell ya, these things warm up when the volts get past 1.4v. Best Overall OC would be to raise the CPU-NB no lower then 2500mhz and voltage no higher then 1.3 on the CPU-NB and keep it at 4ghz(This give a really noticeable performance boost on Desktop and on games). I lowered my OC to get my CPU-NB to 2912mhz, Im sitting at 4ghz right now but with a higher CPU-NB. Just make sure you have the cooling for it, like I said, these things get hot after 1.4v. Max temp on these are 62c, Use Prime95 to stress the CPU for a few hours, make sure you don't pass 62c, system will lock up at 70c to prevent it from hurting the CPU.

not mine, I leave it on...
m
l
October 14, 2012 8:01:25 AM

proffet said:
you need to get your manual out and give it a look on defaulting the BIOS back and also clearing CMOS for resetting.

as for the RAM since it's 1333MHz then it's cool, if it was 1600MHz or more I was going to have you set it to specs.
that's all.

is this motherboard just the M5A97 or is it the EVO version.?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#dow...

As resetting the asus bios logo the manual doesnt say nothin about it
m
l
October 14, 2012 11:31:34 AM

clearing BIOS / CMOS and/or defaulting back to 'default'..
what about that.?
m
l
October 14, 2012 2:21:31 PM

proffet said:
clearing BIOS / CMOS and/or defaulting back to 'default'..
what about that.?

ok what i have done is loaded up the update file for the bios an it set the bios logo back to the way it was...now i went into the main part of the menu i enabled the core unlocker also set the memory to 1333 (Acorrding to the ram) now i can go into the bios an manually set the voltages to the cpu if need be
m
l
October 14, 2012 3:59:14 PM

why enable core unlocker...?
I didn't even mention anything about that.
it's pointless since you have a quad core processor with no hidden cores to unlock..
so your basically having your motherboard perform an extra step upon booting for no reason..

also no need to set RAM since it's 1333MHz, just leave it be..
m
l
October 14, 2012 3:59:56 PM

also I said nothing of manually raising voltage to CPU...

just hit the multi until you hit 4.0GHz and then boot.
that's the first steps I stated, nothing about voltages..
m
l
October 15, 2012 5:14:30 AM

what are u talking about the multi ? an 2 everything is set back to defaults so now just tell me from step to step on what to do on getting it to 4.2
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 7:04:30 AM

Personally I wouldn't shoot for 4.2 right off the bat, your chip might not like it. Shoot for 4ghz and make sure its stable, if so then shoot for 4.1 - 4.2.

Also the Multiplier is a function of the CPU of which yours has and its unlocked to make things simple, I noticed on AMD Systems they don't tend to OC far with just the FSB/Bus clock, Kinda have to mix.

Your CPU has a default multi of x18 giving you 3.6ghz with a 200fsb. Set the multi to x18.5 then x19, then x19.5 and x20 to get 4ghz, x21 with get ya 4.2 but can't say it will be stable. Also for 4ghz set your voltage to 1.45v and see where it gets ya, If it isn't stable, add more volts, but you will have to have a good cooler. you have never mentioned what cooler you are using. That alone can be a difference between 4 and 4.2ghz. 4.2ghz you may need 1.5 to 1.55v depending on how lucky the chip is.

Disable C1E and Cool 'n' Quiet just to be on the safe side, you can enable that later. Always turn Spread Spectrum off Always! If you board has LLC (Load Line Calibration) that can be useful or it can be a real pain in the rear on some motherboards.

Good Luck!
-Viking-
m
l
October 15, 2012 11:09:22 AM

JaymesD0ve said:
what are u talking about the multi ? an 2 everything is set back to defaults so now just tell me from step to step on what to do on getting it to 4.2

get off the 4.2GHz for now...
multi = multiplier
let's try for 4.0GHz but hitting the multi only and then go from there..

I still say leave everything enabled and just hit the multi.
this is where a few people disagree.
CnQ, C1E, I leave them all enabled.
m
l
October 15, 2012 12:57:55 PM

well with reading alot of peoples benchmarks the highest an stable people has gone up to 3.9 GHz
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:08:59 PM

proffet said:
get off the 4.2GHz for now...
multi = multiplier
let's try for 4.0GHz but hitting the multi only and then go from there..

I still say leave everything enabled and just hit the multi.
this is where a few people disagree.
CnQ, C1E, I leave them all enabled.

And there is no multiplier in the bios
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:34:47 PM

manual settings..
m
l
October 15, 2012 10:29:39 PM

proffet said:
manual settings..

i know but there isnt no such thing i have looked twice
m
l
October 15, 2012 10:46:38 PM

I'll look in my BIOS, I still have an ASUS 990X motherboard, I'll check and get back to you.
m
l
October 16, 2012 12:06:39 AM

first you need to be in advanced mode.
AI Tweaker tab second from left.

AI Overclock Tuner - take off auto and set to manual,
then change CPU Ratio - from auto to 20 (4.0GHz)

LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE AND/OR SET TO AUTO..

EPU Power Saving Mode - disabled..
Speed Spectrum - disabled

procedd to Advanced tab, next over from AI Tweaker
check your CnQ, C1E and ENABLE them.

save and exit.
boot into windows and monitor temps.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 12:54:10 AM

proffet, I don't really disagree with you, but do you know what C1E is on an AMD system? C1E Lowers the volts of the CPU when idle, 80% of time it will lower it to far even when just sitting there, and will cause a blue screen (Of course thats when its Overclocked) If hes shooting for even just 4ghz, he will have to raise the voltage, thats where C1E can be an issue, if he doesn't have to bump the volts to high from stock, C1E more then likely wont cause an issue. As we both can see "JaymesD0ve" is new to Overclocking, or well at least to the phenom line. Wouldn't be wise to disable C1E until you know you have things stable? Then enable it and see if its still stable? C1E enabled on my 1100T will not even allow windows 7 to boot, Same with the 955 I have on an Asus 970 board.

I would disable anything that has to do with power saving that is KNOWN to cause instability, If you have C1E enabled and it does cause a BSOD, hes going to think that his CPU can't do even 4ghz. CnQ is fine most of the time, but I would disabled that at 1st as well just to get that out of the way, it isn't hard to enable both C1E and CnQ. Some board/CPU's don't care if they are enabled, some do. Better to get that out of the way so you know that the CPU is the cause of a BSOD if there is any.

Overclocked enough AMD systems to know C1E most of the time will cause a problem. C1E and other Info that better describes it better than I http://www.masterslair.com/should-you-overclock-with-sp... (This is on an intel board, C1E is the same on both platforms) Do a quick google search and take note of all the OC's that were done with C1E, They were lucky to brake the 3.9ghz wall on the phenom II's.

Anyway Good luck.
m
l
October 16, 2012 12:57:35 AM

I haven't or didn't BSOD.
maybe that's why I do it the other way, if I had BSOD then I would have had to troubleshoot.

as long as it works, to each it;'s own... :) 
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:35:10 AM

proffet said:
first you need to be in advanced mode.
AI Tweaker tab second from left.

AI Overclock Tuner - take off auto and set to manual,
then change CPU Ratio - from auto to 20 (4.0GHz)

LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE AND/OR SET TO AUTO..

EPU Power Saving Mode - disabled..
Speed Spectrum - disabled

procedd to Advanced tab, next over from AI Tweaker
check your CnQ, C1E and ENABLE them.

save and exit.
boot into windows and monitor temps.

now it wont let me switch the cpu raio from auto but the cpu frequency is 216 and the speed spetrum is disabled i tried going from 3.9 up to 4.0 but no results it is stuck on the 3.9
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:00:38 AM

JaymesD0ve said:
now it wont let me switch the cpu raio from auto but the cpu frequency is 216 and the speed spetrum is disabled i tried going from 3.9 up to 4.0 but no results it is stuck on the 3.9

must be missing something, I'll have to go back and look.

m
l
October 17, 2012 5:25:20 AM

proffet said:
must be missing something, I'll have to go back and look.

]http://imageshack.us/a/img690/3681/57289531.png

Ok i think i have figured out to make the ratio ...first pull out the AI Suite II , then click on the auto tuning ,then manual mode ,then more settings , then cpu ratio, then select each core to Ex sample 1 - core 18.5 / 2 - core 18.5 / 3 - core 18.5 / 4 - core 18.5 / then click on to make each 1 higher
m
l
October 17, 2012 11:25:43 AM

now were making progress..!!!
m
l
October 17, 2012 1:40:17 PM

Now the only problem is i can only go up to 19.0 ....if i go any higher it will become unstable an crash
m
l
October 17, 2012 1:54:28 PM

that's your 'auto' ceiling then with this chip.
now the voltage tweaking begins..
m
l
October 17, 2012 3:55:17 PM

proffet said:
that's your 'auto' ceiling then with this chip.
now the voltage tweaking begins..

Ok...i am ready lets hear it..lol
m
l
October 19, 2012 3:58:28 AM

Hmm no responce yet...
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:56:15 AM

work man, gotta pay bills, and school.
I'm free this weekend and will go back into it and get the correct settings.
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:41:42 PM

alrighty i'm sorry ...
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:50:12 PM

it's cool, might get to it this evening.
been doubling up on work for the extra money..
m
l
October 20, 2012 12:56:15 AM

don't blame ya... Things is hard with a tight budget these days
m
l
October 21, 2012 1:30:28 AM

OK, so where are we now.?
what are you running at and what have you tried.?
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:01:56 PM

proffet said:
OK, so where are we now.?
what are you running at and what have you tried.?

Ok i had the cpu ratio up to 19.0 but any more than that it becomes unstable an crashes i also noticed 2 thing in the asus AI suite do that the adjustments u know u can save profiles but i was wanting the ajustment permament so i figured that the main adjustment in the bios will be that way but for me to do that i would have to first do some testing at th in the ai suite to get a stable report so from here need to do some voltage tweaking
m
l
October 21, 2012 9:21:20 PM

I do BIOS clock and not using the AI or any software controlled clock.
m
l
October 21, 2012 9:40:14 PM

But remember it will let me in the software to change it not the bios ..from past responces in the forums it is set as 18.5 an will not let me change it ..so i think this is a minor set back or i am doing somethin wrong
m
l
October 21, 2012 9:54:03 PM

I think you were not hitting the right keys when in the BIOS..
try the +/- keys or even the arrow keys if you can't type the value in..
m
l
October 22, 2012 2:17:23 AM

Ok as soon as i hit the + sign the cpu ratio but it will not accept any more than 18.5 ..if it goes any higher the blue screen pops up ..so that tells me that the voltages is gonna have to come up to have a sucessful report Not only that once i have set it an try playing a game 30 mins into it , the game crashes an everything else goes crazy ..so had no choice but set it back to auto ..at this point i am fixing to give up an just wait til i get the buildozer since this board is basicly made for it ...i dont know proffet whats your take on it?
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:13:03 AM

strange.
I'll take another look..
m
l
October 22, 2012 2:42:29 PM

If anyone else has opinion on this subject, this would be a good time & would be greatly appreciated
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2012 2:43:35 PM

Are You sure your chip is the Phenom II x4 975? Some Phenom Chips are locked and will not allow the cpu ratio to go any higher. Also you may have to do a bios update, might be something up with the bios locking the multi.
m
l
October 22, 2012 5:02:11 PM

good point.
all 975 are BE's or so I thought as well.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2012 3:00:05 AM

As for all the power saving features I disable them until I'm 100% stable with acceptable temps (don't forget to change windows 7 power profile to performance). Then I re-enable them and bring voltage down as low as I can and do a final test for stability.

I don't remember anyone mentioning what cooler the OP is using, this is critical if he wants to reach anywhere near 4.2Ghz on a Phenom II.

I'd suggest to the OP to do some reading on OCing a BE chip before he continues this endeavor. He/she needs to visit the sticky on overclocking a AMD black edition chip. Let's try not to kill you cpu, read a lot and then read some more, and then you'll be ready to try and OC your system.

Remember every chip and board is different, so it's gonna be a guess and check game with a whole lot of waiting before you get a stable full system overclock.

Always work on one component at a a time to eliminate having to guess which component is causing instability.
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:42:44 PM

Viking2121 said:
Are You sure your chip is the Phenom II x4 975? Some Phenom Chips are locked and will not allow the cpu ratio to go any higher. Also you may have to do a bios update, might be something up with the bios locking the multi.

Yes it is ..it's a Phenom II x4 975 BE
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:51:10 PM

mlcaouette said:
As for all the power saving features I disable them until I'm 100% stable with acceptable temps (don't forget to change windows 7 power profile to performance). Then I re-enable them and bring voltage down as low as I can and do a final test for stability.

I don't remember anyone mentioning what cooler the OP is using, this is critical if he wants to reach anywhere near 4.2Ghz on a Phenom II.

I'd suggest to the OP to do some reading on OCing a BE chip before he continues this endeavor. He/she needs to visit the sticky on overclocking a AMD black edition chip. Let's try not to kill you cpu, read a lot and then read some more, and then you'll be ready to try and OC your system.

Remember every chip and board is different, so it's gonna be a guess and check game with a whole lot of waiting before you get a stable full system overclock.

Always work on one component at a a time to eliminate having to guess which component is causing instability.

Ok the temps stays around 33.7 on a Silenx compact effizio , Now on the reading part i don't know what u mean but i have read in the past on the cpu that this was a simple task to go from 3.7 to 4.2 but doing this process is quite hard..also dont know what u mean when u say "OP"
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 12:07:54 AM

Original poster is what I meant by OP. Sure getting to 4.2Ghz might not be a hard task but getting it 100% stable and within temps is a whole different beast.

If you just want a quick test to see if it will work bumb your voltage up to 1.55v with with LLC set to medium so it stays at 1.55v under load. It's gonna get hot real quick under load!
Set your CPU multi to 21x
Make sure all power savings features are disabled
Leave FSB at stock 200
Leave ram at stock
Leave N/B at stock
Do all this is the bios!!!
Oh yeah and don't just expect it to work cause nothing is guaranteed when overclocking!
Run prime for 15 minutes for initial stability check. Don't let temps go over 55C! Stop if you have to.
Then if the test was successful you will just have to work down the voltage and enable the power saving features.
m
l
!