Problems after bios flashing p55gd65

matrixmayhem

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
i have msi p55gd65 motherboard intel i5 750 processor
recently i updated my bios through live update 4
everything works fine except my hdd light does not light when the cpu is running and when i shut down my pc it turns on
only when i switch off the power supply it slowly fades away.

and when i switch on the power supply the light does not turn on (hdd )as it should
what should i do

Solution
G
Hopefully this should work...

In bios, goto Power Management Setup => JFP2 Power LED Function => set as Power LED

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have never heard of a BIOS update remapping the LED pin-outs. It would be pretty hard to do as it is a physical interface. BTW, it fades away as the residual power that is stored in your motherboard's components dissipates.

Not to add any insult, but are you 100% sure it worked as intended before the BIOS update? Please don't take offense, but little things like that are often overlooked and are coincidental with users noticing a problem. Every true geek has done this to themselves, including me.

matrixmayhem

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
the thing i am confused about the most is if i have shut down my computer psu shuts down too (i know this because if it was supplying power my dvd drive, its tray would open when i press the button )except the little bit of power it supplyes to the motherboard which goes to the power button .
if the power is leaking then why doesn't it leak when i switch off the switch and switch it back on

matrixmayhem

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
how much power does a capacitor suppose to hold
can it power the L.E.D for 3 - 4 hours (it does not fade after 3 hours is just i have seen it till 3 hours).but if i switch off the psu from the main the L.E.D fades off it abot 10 sec i think those i are the capacitors you are talking about.
so assuming the capacitors discharge after i power down my psu so there is a definite leakage of power .
pleas reply
thankyou

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I, generally, prefer to flash my BIOSes with the manual method (the USB method you mentioned). I have never had a problem with the Windows flash utilities, but I just don't trust them.

Be sure to use the most current version for your mobo. Verify that the version of BIOS matches your mobo (pay particular attention to the mobo version as well if there are different BIOS versions for different mobo versions for your particular mobo).

Good luck!

G

I have (almost) exactly the same problem. (My HD LED is fine, unlike the OP's.)

P55-GD65, just flashed the bios to v1.9 from whatever the mobo shipped with (v1?). Case power LED was fine before. Now when I shut down the case power LED stays on. If I unplug it from the wall then the LED will go out after about 10 seconds. When I plug it back in again the LED flashes but then stays off.

I haven't tried leaving it for hours like the OP but if it does stay powered for 3hrs+ then that's quite a lot of power remaining in the caps. Plus seems strange that a bios flash will cause this problem...

Any ideas?

G

Hopefully this should work...

In bios, goto Power Management Setup => JFP2 Power LED Function => set as Power LED

Solution