Sign in with
Your question

Can i moderately OC an i7 860 with stock cooler? Please help and comme

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2010 2:01:09 AM

Hello, i'm planning on buying the following setup:

Asus maximus III formula or EVGA ftw or p7p55d deluxe (Can anyone help me decide on which one?)
i7 860
8 gb g.skill eco cl7
gpu ati hd 8550

My case is a thermaltake soprano mid tower, the same model in the link below but mine is black

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=137&...

I was wondering if i could OC the i7 860 to something like 3.4 or 3.6 on stock cooling, have anyone tried?
The reason for that is because most of the coolers that really make a difference are the "tower" types and it will not fit in this case.
Can anyone comment if this is a good config quality and compatibility wise?

Thanks
February 3, 2010 2:54:48 AM

I forgot to ask, but please let me know if there's a good cooler that doesn't go over 13 cm in height, i researched for hours today but was unable to find anything worth it.
February 3, 2010 3:06:57 AM

Overclocking i7 860 to 3-3.2GHz might be possible with the stock cooler...but above that it is better to go with an aftermarket CPU cooler...
If you just want to overclock till 3.4GHz, and not anything more, then the CM TX3 would be a good option...It might not offer better cooling at higher speeds...
Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3

If you want something better...
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm LGA 1156 compatible...
Or even this will be a good option...
Scythe SCSMZ-2000 92mm / Scythe Katana 3 LGA 1156 compatible...
February 4, 2010 5:16:53 AM

gkay09 said:
Overclocking i7 860 to 3-3.2GHz might be possible with the stock cooler...but above that it is better to go with an aftermarket CPU cooler...
If you just want to overclock till 3.4GHz, and not anything more, then the CM TX3 would be a good option...It might not offer better cooling at higher speeds...
Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3

If you want something better...
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm LGA 1156 compatible...
Or even this will be a good option...
Scythe SCSMZ-2000 92mm / Scythe Katana 3 LGA 1156 compatible...

Thanks for the suggestions, o did not like the hyper tx3 but the others look nice.
!