Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking worth it ?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 13, 2012 5:06:26 AM

hey guys this is a bit stupid topic but i still wanted your opinions on this. as the title of my thread suggests ' Is Overclocking worth it ' ?? i know you guys are very passionate about overclocking stuff all the time to yield extra performance or some just do it for fun because they love to. but is it worth it for the average user since overclocking VOIDS WARRANTY. personsally i built myself a new pc, the cpu is not overclockable but the gpu is .. so i was wondering if overclocking something be it the cpu or gpu worth it in exchange for you losing warranty that you got with the product. i guess its a non issue for rich guys but for average students like me the safety and secure feeling of being covered under warranty if something goes wrong is probably more important than extra performance obtained due to overclocking.
no offense to anyone but just want your thoughts guys..

More about : overclocking worth

a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 5:38:06 AM

Sorry but your not gonna yield much of a OC if any with your motherboard you have...
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:15:43 AM

Rockdpm said:
Sorry but your not gonna yield much of a OC if any with your motherboard you have...

am not talking about my rig. am just saying in general if overclocking for anyone is worth it in exchange for voiding their warranty ? i personally think its probably not worth it
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 7:01:52 AM

mohit9206 said:
am not talking about my rig. am just saying in general if overclocking for anyone is worth it in exchange for voiding their warranty ? i personally think its probably not worth it

Considering that there's hardly ever any physical, visual signs of an overclock gone bad (ie. frying the CPU), and the fact that it's completely up to you to tell the truth to the rep on the phone if you need to use the warranty, there's really no need to even worry about that.

Seriously, Intel/AMD have no way to know that you've been overclocking other than you telling them. No real risk involved in that.

If someone was worried about it (and didn't want to lie to a rep), Intel offers the Performance Tuning Protection Plan that covers overclocking too.
$20 for a 2500K/3570K and it's a one time no questions asked replacement no matter what you do to the CPU. I have it myself and I don't think I'll ever need it, but I just thought, for $20, why the hell not?
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 7:51:56 AM

Overclocking is worth it in my opinion, For instance, My x6 1100T at 3.3ghz get put to shame by an core i5 2400k, but OC the CPU-NB on the 1100T to around 3000mhz and keep the base clock at 3.3ghz, the x6 1100T Out paces the i5 2400k is most tasks including gaming. But then again the i5 2400k can OC as well.

Yes Overclocking can cause some degrade over time, but that will be when the CPU is so old, that you would of already had it replaced by then. Hell, Just OC, get the extra boost in games or rending or whatever you do, Also somthing you can show off lol.
m
l
October 13, 2012 8:27:58 AM

wont amd know if we overclock their graphic cards and something goes wrong and the card stops working ? there is a disclaimer in amd overdrive which tells you something about overclocking at your own risk and risk of voiding the warranty.. i haven't yet accepted the disclaimer. i dont know if its worth it
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 8:36:22 AM

The thing is, the damage it does is so little, if done correctly that is, you would of upgraded or even bought a new system by the time it actually died, meaning, you might as well overclock while you the system is useful and you have it.

If you do it correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about things blowing up, unless the GPU/CPU was faulty.
m
l
October 13, 2012 8:42:16 AM

no, they won't know, unless you physically alter the card, like watercooling or soldering connection. realistically, it much easier to accept an rma even if they know some have been oc'd somehow than create ill will by accusation or hiring people knowledgable enough detect it in the RMA dept. Yes they often have a disclaimer, so the morality is up to you (did you make that last red light? should you turn yourself in for it?)

In general a small 10% overclock is a no brainer. on the other extreme, Max over clocking with LN2 is as much a passion as a hobby, and people using have money to burn.
m
l
October 13, 2012 8:54:48 AM

what does this mean ?? " DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY. "
this is written in the amd overdrive disclaimer page
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:05:22 AM

Ever see or hear at a restaurant "we reserve the right to refuse service" or "no shirt no shoes no service"? They'll probably still serve you, but don't have to. They are stating company policy which can be enforced or ignored. Whether the policy is even "legally enforceable" is an entirely different legal discussion.

Personally I wouldn't RMA a CPU I busted, whether by static, water, physical damage, or OC. But that doesn't mean than others don't and haven't been sucessful. What I have done recently was be completely honest and ASK. I bought some DVD+DL that were crap and the RMA said return shipping was my responsibility. I told them they were crap, and they said ship them back as per RMA. I respectfully requested a prepaid label (they pay for it) and they said ok.

Bottom line: Companies will do whatever is the most profitable, which at times can mean both posting a disclaimer and ignoring it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2012 2:27:21 PM

that thing and applies to AANYTHING hardware that's taken outside of its factory standards. But 9/10 it can handle "outside of factory settings". Its like buying a r4e and a 3930k and not over locking it... Both made for overclocking
m
l
October 23, 2012 4:32:52 AM

Best answer selected by mohit9206.
m
l
!