SATA Drive (not system) not recognized by Windows

Miketee3333

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello, I had a system crash with windows xp, so I reloaded it. I have 4 ide disks and one SATA. The problem is the SATA is loaded with data that I need, but the system won't recognize it. I've loaded the proper motherboard driver, and set the bios, but the only thing that will find it is the WD data disk, which wants to reformat it because it says it is in RAID mode. Obviously, I don't want to lose all my data by doing a format on the drive. How can I at least transfer the data? Or am I totally screwed?

Solution
Have you tried clearing the CMOS to reset the BIOS settings to default? If not try that, then upon reboot, enter the BIOS, reset any custom settings you had, and look at the HDD screens to confirm the BIOS sees the SATA HDD.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS to reset the BIOS settings to default? If not try that, then upon reboot, enter the BIOS, reset any custom settings you had, and look at the HDD screens to confirm the BIOS sees the SATA HDD.

Solution

Miketee3333

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I bought a new WD750 gig Sata drive and an external drive bay. Put the old hard drive in it after installing the new one and I'm transferring the data as I write this. I'll try to figure out what's wrong with the old one after I attempt to reformat it. Wish me luck.