Installing program but says I don't have enough ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

giwook

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I am trying to install a program on my laptop for use with business. I double click the file to install (it's a self-extractor installation file) and it opens up. But it gives me an error message saying I don't have enough ram:

This installer requires that Windows 7 and Windows Vista have 2 GB of ram as a minimum and has only detected 1023 MB. The installer will not exit.

I know I have more than 2 GB of ram so I'm not sure what the issue is. There are no other programs running and the task manager shows I have:

Total Physical Memory = 3578 MB
Cached = 1859
Available = 2665
Free = 865

These are my laptop's specs (via 'dxdiag'):

Windows 7 Home premium 32-bit
AMD E-350 Processor (Dual Core, ~1.6 ghz)
Memory: 4096 MB Ram

Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution

I would definitely contact support@ipipeline.com and ask them about your problem. It must have something to do with the way they...

PartialGenious

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
First off if it is a 32 bit operating system it does not recognize over 3.5 gb of memory as you see:
Total Physical Memory = 3578 MB
Just FYI

If you have not already tried closing out all other programs do this first.

Next try restarting you PC as it shows over 2gb available but only 865mb free a restart should kill some applications running in the background.

If this does not work you may need to edit your start-up and get rid of some memory hogging tasks that should not be open which should speed up your PC as well.

Before doing this go see your IT staff as they can help you out with this.

giwook

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
PartialGenious: I tried restarting my computer and it did bring the free memory up above 2 GB, but without opening a single program it went below 2 GB. I believe the free memory went into cached memory because available memory still showed about 2.5 GB. Also, no IT department to speak of..it is a self-run business for the most part so I have to troubleshoot my own problems unfortunately..

ksiemb: The program is called iPipeline Illustrations, the website is http://www.ipipeline.com/products/quotes-and-illustrations.php . I'm not sure if it's msi or non-msi. How would I go about checking this?

I would definitely contact support@ipipeline.com and ask them about your problem. It must have something to do with the way they packaged the application for deployment.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.