Your question
Solved

Problems with hd4650 help please!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 27, 2010 12:43:20 PM

Ok so i am new to computer gaming and went out and bought a radeon HD4650 yesterday for my desktop. It is a 1gb AGP card. I hard the card working yesterday and it was playing games so much better than my 128mb intergrated :D  I was messing around on the catalyst control center and seen videos on youtube of people showing how to over clock them. I figured hey its an option with the card so it must be ok. Then video i seen the guy put everything to the max so i thought i would try it. As soon as i hit apply little aqua blue, purple, and green squares started filling the screen! The screen freezes up and blacks out and windows trys to restart just to get the same problem again :cry:  I dont know how to fix this can somebody please help! Hopefully i didnt ruin the card :o  I read around a little bit and people say not to go over 860 so i definitely did a no no. I am running windows 7 also.

More about : problems hd4650

a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 12:59:10 PM

Josh154 said:
Ok so i am new to computer gaming and went out and bought a radeon HD4650 yesterday for my desktop. It is a 1gb AGP card. I hard the card working yesterday and it was playing games so much better than my 128mb intergrated :D  I was messing around on the catalyst control center and seen videos on youtube of people showing how to over clock them. I figured hey its an option with the card so it must be ok. Then video i seen the guy put everything to the max so i thought i would try it. As soon as i hit apply little aqua blue, purple, and green squares started filling the screen! The screen freezes up and blacks out and windows trys to restart just to get the same problem again :cry:  I dont know how to fix this can somebody please help! Hopefully i didnt ruin the card :o  I read around a little bit and people say not to go over 860 so i definitely did a no no. I am running windows 7 also.

When overclocking you are bound to get some sort of errors if you push the card too hard. Now, overclocking is done in small steps. First you try to overclock little by little until you get errors or instability. After that you get down little by little until the errors or the instability disappears (maybe use a program like Furmark to test the stability). After you have found the stable speed then you should see the temperatures of the card. If the card is close to 90C when in Furmark or games then it is time to crank up the GPU Fan until temperatures start dropping to below 85C. That is about it.
Now the first thing is to get back to stock speed in memory and GPU. After that, if you want to overclock just do as I said above.
Good luck.
m
l

Best solution

a c 160 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 1:03:10 PM

When you start your computer start hitting F8 until you get to the windows boot screen and select Safe Mode (I think Win7 has this, not sure). This loads the minimum amount of drivers. Hopefully it will boot and you can uncheck the overdrive settings.

Yeah, don't put the settings to max, the 4650 isn't really a highend card with high clocks. You will want to take theh stock clocks and ease them up slowely, maybe 5-10MHz at a time until you see stability issues, then back them off. 90% of people on youtube are idiots.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 1:04:42 PM

jay2tall said:
90% of people on youtube are idiots.

Hehe...so true. :lol: 
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:14:29 PM

Thanks guys! I read around and figured that i did it all wrong. My problem i am having though is getting it back to the stock settings. Ive tried safe mode but when i go to the CCC it says it doesnt detect the ATI driver. I just recovered my system to about a week ago and am re downloading the AGP hotfix 9.12 driver. It has not blacked out or anything yet so it must be alright.
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:19:25 PM

Also what is the best to over clock? The memory or the GPU? Or both? While gaming yesterday the card was only at about 49C. Ill let you guys know if i get it running again after its done downloading! And i know the 4650 isnt anything great but im running on a system from 2001 that has an AGP slot and no PCI express slots :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 1:21:40 PM

Josh154 said:
Also what is the best to over clock? The memory or the GPU? Or both? While gaming yesterday the card was only at about 49C. Ill let you guys know if i get it running again after its done downloading! And i know the 4650 isnt anything great but im running on a system from 2001 that has an AGP slot and no PCI express slots :( 

Overclock both, but one at a time. Not both at the same time to know for sure the cause of instability. Start with the GPU, find the best stable speed, then go for the memory.
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:25:35 PM

Ok thanks! I got the card back to the stock settings now and am up and running on the card! I dont know how to turn on aero and all those features again lol but thanks guys ill try overclocking how you told me and not the idiots on youtube :) 
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
January 27, 2010 1:26:16 PM

There is non golden clock speed. You just have to ease them up until they fail and then back them off a little for stability. That is basically it in a nutshell.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 1:15:27 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l